Spooky Candlelit Characters
sizes: 3” and 4”
- Terra cotta pots: 3”, 4”
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Bright Orange, Cadmium Orange, Citron Green, Cranberry Wine, Grape Juice, Hauser Dark Green, Kelly Green, Lamp Black, Lavender, Primary Yellow, Royal Fuchsia, True Blue, Turquoise Blue, Warm White, White Wash
- Votive candle or tea lights
newspaper (to cover work surface), pencil, stylus, cotton fabric scrap, paper towel
- Royal & Langnickel Majestic Brushes: Series R4160 Angular 1/8”, 1/4”; Series 4595 Filbert #0
- Royal & Langnickel Aqualon Brushes Series R2150 Shader #2, #4, #6, #8
- Stencil brush, 1/4”
- DecoArt DuraClear Matte Varnish
- 1. Use #8 shader for basecoating and varnishing pots.
- 1. Basecoat green monster Citron Green; let dry. For mottled background, wrap damp fabric around two fingers and dip into Kelly Green; work paint into fabric then wipe on pot. Basecoat purple cat with (1:1) mixture of Lavender + Grape Juice. Basecoat mummy Warm White. Basecoat candy corn top section Warm White, center section Bright Orange, and bottom section Primary Yellow; let dry. Wrap damp fabric around two fingers and dip into Cadmium Orange; work paint into fabric then gently wipe onto orange section for mottled background and to add hints of orange along bottom edge of yellow section. Lightly shade Bright Orange along bottom of white section.
- 2. Print out patterns. Transfer basic details onto pots. For mummy, continue pattern to sides and back, omitting face or use pencil to free-hand design.
- 3. For green monster, basecoat left eye Royal Fuchsia; shade Lavender. Basecoat right eye and nose with (1:3) mixture of Turquoise Blue + White Wash; shade each True Blue. Dot pupils True Blue. Drybrush cheeks Cadmium Orange. Paint hair Hauser Dark Green. Use Kelly Green to add mouth, scar, and cheek dots; use photo as guide to add detailing around pot.
- 4. For purple cat, basecoat eyes Citron Green; shade Kelly Green and dot pupils. Use (1:3) mixture of Turquoise Blue + White Wash to paint nose and to line mouth and ears; shade nose True Blue. Basecoat paws Cadmium Orange and shade Bright Orange. Line whiskers Citron Green and use small end of stylus to dot freckles Cadmium Orange.
- 5. For mummy, shade wrappings Lamp Black along either side. Drybrush cheeks Cadmium Orange; dot freckles with small end of stylus. Use Lamp Black to paint hair, eyes, and mouth; use photo as guide to add detailing around pot.
- 6. For candy corn, shade Cadmium Orange along inside edges of top and bottom orange section. Use Lamp Black to paint eyes and to line mouth; dot pupils Citron Green. Shade Cadmium Orange around eyes in orange section. Drybrush cheeks Cranberry Wine; dot freckles Lamp Black. Use photo as guide to add Cadmium Orange detailing around pot.
- 7. To finish, apply three coats varnish on pots. Let dry. Turn pot upside down; set votive candle on pot.
- 1. To drybrush, touch the tip of bristle brush into paint and wipe excess color off on paper towel. Use very light pressure to skim brush over surface, building up color gradually.
by Monika Brint