Sunflower & Faux Wicker Napkin Rings
- Polyform Premo! Sculpey Clay: Burnt Umber, Cadmium Yellow Hue
cornstarch, aluminum foil, paintbrush, recycled paper towel tube, scissors, paper towels
- Polyform Sculpey Basic Shapes Mini Metal Cutters
- Polyform Sculpey Tools: Clay Extruder, 5 in 1 Tool Kit, Clay Conditioning Machine
- Polyform Sculpey Bake & Bond
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Honey Brown, Spicy Mustard, Bright Orange, Cadmium Red, Light Cinnamon
- Parchment-lined baking sheet and oven
- 1. Condition Burnt Umber clay and run through clay conditioning machine several times. Roll clay into tube and load into clay extruder. Extrude entire load of clay. Fold strand in half; twist clay around itself to 1/8" width. Continue twisting until clay looks like rope.
- 2. Wrap aluminum foil around recycled paper tube; dust lightly with cornstarch. Wrap rope strand around foil tube four times, pressing pieces together lightly. Apply tiny dots of Bake & Bond; press together. Use chisel tip on tool to blend ends into rope. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to bake on parchment-lined baking sheet in oven for 10 minutes. Let cool.
- 3. While faux wicker pieces are baking and cooling, condition Cadmium Yellow Hue clay. On last pass through clay conditioning machine, set thickness to third thickest on machine. Place clay flat on work surface. Use leaf shape cutter to cut eight petals for each napkin ring. See Photo 1. Cut out center circle for each napkin ring. (see photos)
- 4. Pinch petal ends into points to shape. Squeeze ring of Bake & Bond on circle; press eight petals evenly spaced around circle. See Photo 2 and Photo 3. (see photos)
- 5. Cut Burnt Umber circle for flower center. Use detail tool to add random seed dots and create texture. Press flower center on center of each flower; spot glue with Bake & Bond if needed.
- 6. Apply Bake & Bond on top of cooled faux wicker napkin ring. Press flower onto napkin ring; return to oven and bake for 15-20 minutes. Let cool. See Photo 4. (see photos)
- 7. On covered work surface, lightly paint wicker Honey Brown; wipe off excess paint. See Photo 5 and Photo 6. Lightly paint petals Spicy Mustard; wipe off excess paint. Drybrush Bright Orange on center of petals and Cadmium Red on area close to flower center. Use tip of chisel tool dipped in Light Cinnamon to add tiny dots on petals. Paint flower center Light Cinnamon; wipe off excess with paper towel. Let dry. Remove napkin ring from paper tube. (see photos)
- 1. The softer the clay, the easier it is to extrude, so run clay several times through clay conditioning machine before beginning.
by Niki Meiners