Winter Stack of Friends
- Polyform Sculpey III Oven-Bake Clay: White, Tan, Gold, Chocolate, Lime, Blue, Red Hot Red, Sweet Potato
black permanent marker, craft knife, paintbrush, cosmetic-wedge sponge, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- Needle tool or toothpick
- Small snowflake stamp
- White acrylic paint
- Chalk: blue, pink
- Gloss sealer
- Clay-dedicated rolling pin, parchment-lined baking sheet, and oven
- 1. Preheat oven to 275º. Use oven thermometer if available. Create each character and then stack on top of one another in Step 5.
- 1. On clean work surface, remove clay from packages and condition separately in hands until soft. If clay cracks, keep conditioning.
- 2. For reindeer, roll 1-1/4” Gold ball; form into triangle shape for body. Position body on work surface with pointed end towards you. Roll four 3/4” Gold balls into log shapes (legs); press on sides of body. Roll four 1/2” Chocolate balls; press on ends of legs for hooves. Use needle tool or toothpick to make indentations on hooves. Roll 3/4” Gold ball (head) and two 1/4” Gold balls (ears). Form head into triangle shape and press ears on each side. Use needle tool to make indentions. Roll two 1/2” Chocolate balls (antlers); flatten balls into logs and use craft knife to cut in half. Smooth edges. Press antlers near ears on head. Roll tiny Chocolate ball; form into tail shape and press on back of body. Add two tiny Lime leaves and Red Hot Red berry between ears on head.
- 3. For snowman, roll 1” White ball; form into triangle shape (body). Roll two 1/2” White balls (arms) and two 3/4” White balls (legs). Form arms into log shapes; press on sides of body. Form legs into log shapes; use snowflake stamp to impress soles on feet. Roll 3/4” White ball (head) and add small Sweet Potato nose; press head on body. Roll 3/4” Blue ball; flatten into scarf shape and wrap around neck area; press small Blue ball on side (for scarf knot). Add fringe and scarf detail lines using needle tool.
- 4. For gingerbread boy, mix small amounts of Gold, Chocolate, and Tan clays, creating ginger color. Roll 3/4” ball (body); round into triangle shape. Roll four 1/2” balls (arms and legs); form into log shapes and press on sides of body. Roll 3/4” ball (head); press on top of body. Roll small White ball; form into hair and press on top of head. Roll tiny Red Hot Red ball (nose) and two 1/8” Red Hot Red teardrops (heart). Roll tiny Blue ball (button). Press nose on face and button below head. Press heart teardrops together and press on body overlapping arm.
- 5. Use needle tool to draw smiles on faces, indent reindeer’s mouth, and poke gingerbread boy’s belly button. Apply pink chalk on cheeks and blue chalk on snowflakes on snowmen soles using cosmetic-wedge sponge. Position snowman on reindeer’s back and gingerbread boy on snowman’s back on parchment-lined baking sheet. Reform shapes as needed.
- 6. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to bake in oven. Let cool completely.
- 7. Use black marker to dot eyes and draw eyebrows. On covered work surface, use thin paintbrush and white acrylic paint to add icing on gingerbread boy and to dot cheeks and eyes. Let dry.
- 8. Apply gloss sealer on heart, reindeer hooves, and noses. Let dry.
- 1. For greater ease in conditioning clay, run clay separately through clay-dedicated pasta or conditioning machine.
by Helen Terlalis Dorn for Polyform Products