Countdown to Christmas Sewn Tree
- National Nonwovens WoolFelt: Shady Grove, 1 yd.; White, 1/2 yd.; Reets Relish, White, Shocking Pink, Blue Snow, Mustard Relish, Red, scraps
- Coordinating print fabric, scraps
- Polyform Premo! Sculpey Clays: Cadmium Red Hue, White; 18K Gold Premo! Accents by Sculpey; Leaf Green Sculpey III
- Kreinik Red Iron-On Tape
- Ribbon: red, 1/2”-wide; light blue, 1/4”-wide; hot pink, 1/8”-wide
- Red medium rick rack, 1 pkg.
- White jumbo rick rack, 2 pkgs.
scissors, iron, craft knife, ruler, needle and thread
- Sewing machine and thread
- Circle cookie cutter, 1/2”
- Rotary cutter with pinking blade
- Plaid Fabric Mod Podge
- Martha Stewart Crafts Tools: Stencil Brush, 5 Piece Basic Brush Set, Monogram Serif Stencil Set
- Silver glitter paint
- Clay-dedicated rolling pin, parchment-lined baking sheet, and oven
- Hot glue gun and sticks
- 1. All seams have 1/4” seam allowance. RST = right sides together. Design each pocket as indicated and set aside for construction in Step 17.
- 1. On clean work surface, condition Cadmium Red Hue and White clay separately in hands until soft and pliable. Roll 1” White ball; roll on work surface into rope. Repeat process using Cadmium Red Hue clay. Position ropes side-by-side on work surface; twist ropes together into candy cane shape. Position candy cane on parchment-lined baking sheet. With craft knife, trim candy cane ends if needed. Repeat process to make another candy cane.
- 2. For peppermint candies, roll White clay into 1/2”-thick rope. In addition, roll four 1/4”-thick White ropes and four 1/4”-thick Cadmium Red Hue ropes. Press smaller ropes, in alternating colors, around larger White rope. Roll all ropes together into smooth log shape measuring approximately 4-1/2” long. Use craft knife to cut 1” from end; cut 1/4”-thick disc shape from log for each candy. Use fingers to slightly round edges. Make 17 total candies.
- 3. For buttons, use rolling pin to roll out Leaf Green clay into 1/2”-thick sheet. Use cookie cutter to cut out seven circles. Use toothpick to poke two holes into each button.
- 4. For Christmas tree, use rolling pin to roll Leaf Green clay to 1/16” thickness. Use craft knife to cut out 3”-tall triangle shape. Roll skinny 18K Gold log on work surface; cut various-size lengths and press on tree, rounding garland. Roll tiny White and Cadmium Red Hue balls; press on tree for ornaments.
- 5. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to bake candy canes, peppermint candies, buttons, and tree on parchment-lined baking sheet in oven. Let cool.
- 6. For tree shape, fold one yard of Shady Grove felt in half; cut out triangle shape. Measure and cut twenty-five 3-1/2”x4” rectangles (pockets) from White felt. Set 12 pockets aside.
- 7. On covered work surface, use stencil brush and Serif stencil set to stencil numbers 2, 3, 5, 8, 10, 11, 14, 16, 18, 20, 23, and 25 in silver glitter on each pocket. Let dry and set aside.
- 8. Cut three 2”x10” print fabric strips. Baste stitch center of each strip on white pocket (to create ruffle). Position two ruffles horizontally and one ruffle vertically on pockets; sew in place. Hot glue red rick rack down center of each ruffle. Hot glue red tape down center of rick rack. Set aside.
- 9. For “present” pocket, hot glue red ribbon in cross shape on one pocket. Tie ribbon bow; hot glue on center of cross.
- 10. Cut 2”-diameter Reets Relish circle using rotary cutter and pinking blade; hot glue circle on center of pocket. Hot glue two candy canes crisscrossed over one another on circle. Tie light blue ribbon bow; hot glue on center of candy canes.
- 11. Use needle and embroidery thread to attach green clay buttons in circle (for wreath shape) on pocket. Cut small Shocking Pink and White felt circles and two Reets Relish leaf shapes. Layer circles and adhere at base of wreath using Fabric Mod Podge; adhere leaves below circles using Fabric Mod Podge.
- 12. Print out patterns onto cardstock. Trace cardstock patterns on felt or fabric as indicated. Cut wreath from Reets Relish using rotary cutter and pinking blade. Cut two holly leaves from Reets Relish, ornament and star from Blue Snow, polka dots from Shocking Pink, and five poinsettia petals from scrap fabric.
- 13. Adhere felt wreath on center of pocket using Fabric Mod Podge. Hot glue two peppermint candies and tiny felt flower on bottom of wreath. Hot glue tiny ribbon bow under flower. Adhere ornament and polka dots on pocket using Fabric Mod Podge. Hot glue tiny hot pink bow at top of ornament. Adhere holly leaves on pocket using Fabric Mod Podge so ends touch. Hot glue clay candy cane diagonally across leaves and red ribbon bow at top of candy cane. Adhere poinsettia petals on center of pocket. Hot glue clay peppermint candy on flower center.
- 14. Cut 1-1/2”x3-1/2” Mustard Relish felt rectangle using rotary cutter and pinking blade. Adhere rectangle across center of pocket using Fabric Mod Podge. Cut 2”-diameter Red felt circle using rotary cutter and pinking blade. Adhere circle on center of rectangle. Use stencil brush to stencil “1” in silver glitter on center of circle. Let dry.
- 15. Use basic brush in tool set to paint star silver glitter. Let dry. Hot glue star at top of tree.
- 16. Hot glue clay Christmas tree onto remaining pocket.
- 17. On work surface, position seven rows of pockets, evenly spaced, on felt tree. Use sewing machine to zigzag stitch pockets to tree, leaving top edges open.
- 18. To finish, hot glue white rick rack along edges of tree. Knot red ribbon into loop; attach ribbon length (for hanger) to top of tree using needle and thread.
- 1. Substitute pinking shears for a rotary cutter and blade. Cut patterns slightly larger than indicated and use shears to trim edges.
by April Moffatt