Father & Son Snowmen Plate
size: 8” diameter
- Clear glass plate, 8” diameter
- Polyform Premo! Sculpey Clay: White, Black, Denim, Orange, Rhino Gray, Burnt Umber
- Rhinestone star, 1/2”
- Plate stand
scissors, ruler, pencil, toothpicks, plastic place mat for work surface, spray glass cleaner, paper towels, craft knife, scrub sponge, flat craft brush, cardstock
- Krylon Frosted Glass Finish
- Aleene’s Glitter Snow Medium
- Clay-dedicated rolling pin, parchment-lined baking sheet, and oven
- Aleene’s Original Tacky Glue
- 1. Print out patterns onto cardstock.
- 2. On plastic place mat, condition all clay separately in hands until soft and pliable. Roll White clay on work surface to 1/8” thickness. Rub scrub sponge on clay surface creating texture. Place snowman body patterns on clay; cut out using craft knife. Carefully position snowmen on parchment-lined baking sheet.
- 3. For father snowman, roll: small Orange triangle (carrot nose); skinny Denim log (scarf); two tiny White teardrops (scarf ends); small Black disc and cylinder (hat brim and hat); thin Rhino Gray rope (hat band); two thin Burnt Umber ropes (branch arms). Using photo as guide, press nose end on underside of snowman. Form hat on hat brim and press onto head. Cut scarf into three parts and press onto body; press tassel shapes on scarf ends. Cut slits on branch arms; press one on side of body and position other on parchment-lined baking sheet.
- 4. For son snowman, follow Step 3 to make slightly smaller Orange nose, Rhino Gray scarf, and Burnt Umber branch arms. For cap, roll small Denim cone shape; press onto top of head, bending end downwards into point. Roll tiny White clay ball for cap tip; press on end. Using photo as guide, press nose on face and arms on sides of body. Cut scarf into three parts; slightly flatten and press on body.
- 5. Use toothpick to add detail lines on noses and scarf ends. Bake snowmen and unattached branch arm on parchment-lined baking sheet in oven; let cool.
- 6. Clean glass plate with glass cleaner; dry completely. In well-ventilated area, spray plate Frosted Glass. Let dry. Apply second coat; let dry.
- 7. Adhere snowmen on bottom of plate. Let dry. Adhere father snowman’s branch arm across back of son snowman. Let dry. Adhere rhinestone star on top area of plate.
- 8. On covered work surface, use craft brush to apply snow medium around base of snowmen. Let dry. Use toothpick to add dots of snow randomly on plate, hats, and scarves. Let dry overnight. Position on plate stand to display.
- 1. Use a metallic paint writer to personalize plate edge with father and son names and “2012.”
by Sandy Rollinger