Holiday Canister Set
- Glass canister set with lids, three pieces
- Advantus Tim Holtz idea-ology Grungeboard Alpha Digits
- Red/white check fabric, 1/4 yd.
- Muslin fabric, 1/4 yd.
scissors, ruler, pencil, disappearing ink pen, paintbrush, newspaper (to cover work surface), cardstock
- Pinking shears
- Sewing machine and off-white thread
- DecoArt Deep Red No-Prep Metal Paint
- Off-white acrylic paint
- Gloss varnish
- The Warm Co. Steam-A-Seam 2, 1/4 yd.
- Beacon Adhesives Fabri-Tac Glue
- 1. Remove lids from each canister. On covered work surface, paint each lid Deep Red. Let dry. Apply second coat. Let dry.
- 2. Print out patterns onto cardstock.
- 3. Cut two layers of red/white check fabric 1” larger than each label by tracing around cardstock patterns. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to apply fusible webbing onto red/white check fabrics fusing two layers together.
- 4. Using disappearing ink pen, trace each label pattern onto fused red/white check fabric. Cut on traced line. Repeat Steps 3 and 4 using muslin; cut out shapes just beyond pattern line using pinking shears.
- 5. Place red/white check label on fused muslin; adhere together at center of label using fabric glue.
- 6. Machine stitch 1/8” from edges on red/white check fabric for each label. Trim edges of muslin using pinking shears for each label.
- 7. On covered work surface, paint letters (spelling “Sugar,” “Salt,” “Flour,” etc.) off-white. Let dry. Apply one coat of varnish; let dry.
- 8. Adhere letters on labels using fabric glue. Adhere finished labels on each canister using fabric glue. Let dry.
- 1. Designer purchased three-piece glass canister set at her local Walmart store.
by Rebekah Meier