Sugar Cookie Ornaments
sizes: gingerbread boy, 3-3/4”x4-1/4”; cookie, 3” diameter
- Felt: tan, white
- White/red polka dot ribbon, 3/8”-wide
- Green ribbon, 1/8”-wide
- White baby rick rack
- Fiberfill stuffing
- White buttons, two
- Seed beads, 50 total: red, green
fabric scissors, pencil, straight pins, sewing needle
- Sewing machine and thread
- White dimensional paint
- Beacon Adhesives Fabri-Tac Glue
- 1. Print out patterns onto scrap paper. Trace patterns on felt and cut out.
- 2. For gingerbread boy, adhere rick rack on arms and legs (for frosting). Use white dimensional paint to draw eyes and mouth. Pin body pieces together with right sides facing up using straight pins. Pin green ribbon (for hanger) between head pieces. Sew close to edges, leaving 1” opening on leg. Stuff with fiberfill. Sew opening closed using needle and thread. Remove straight pins. Adhere polka dot ribbon bow and buttons on body.
- 3. For cookie, hand sew seed beads onto icing using needle and thread. Pin icing on one cookie shape; sew icing close to edges. Pin cookie shapes together with icing right side up. Pin green ribbon (for hanger) between pieces. Sew close to edges leaving 1” opening. Stuff with fiberfill. Sew opening closed. Remove straight pins.
- 1. If sewing machine is too intimidating for younger kids, teach kids a basic whipstitch to sew pattern pieces together.
by Linda Valentino