Menorah Wall Hanging
- Art Kloth canvas, 24”x36”
- Wooden dowels, 1/4” diameter: 28”, 23”
- Black ribbon, 36” length
paintbrush, pencil, drawing paper, transfer paper, newspaper (to cover work surface), measuring tape or ruler
- Black gesso
- Black chalkboard paint
- White acrylic paint
- Chalkboard chalk
- Fabric glue
- 1. Print out pattern.
- 2. Measure and cut canvas cloth to 24”x28”. On covered work surface, paint canvas with two coats of black gesso. Let dry. Apply two coats of chalkboard paint on canvas following manufacturer’s instructions. Let dry. Paint dowels with black gesso. Let dry.
- 3. Transfer menorah design onto painted canvas leaving 8" space at top of canvas and 6" space at bottom. Paint menorah with three coats of white acrylic paint. Let dry.
- 4. Position painted canvas face down on clean work surface. Turn over top and bottom edges of canvas; adhere edges on back of canvas, creating casing for wooden dowels. Insert longer dowel into top casing and shorter dowel into bottom casing. Tie ribbon length on ends of longer dowel to hang.
- 5. Use chalk to draw in candles on menorah for each day of Hanukkah. At end of season, wipe chalk off and store menorah to use again.
- 1. Create an Advent Calendar with Art Kloth canvas following these instructions. Instead of the menorah, draw a pattern of 25 numbered boxes or circles. Use chalk to draw one Christmas decoration inside each box or circle to count down the days until Christmas.
by Helen Bradley for Art Kloth