Missing Socks Hanger
- Walnut Hollow Wood Innkeeper Signboard, 4”x16”
- Wooden items: clothespins, six; teardrops, 2-1/2”, three
- Fabric, scraps
- Adhesive-back rhinestones, 5/8”, six
- Ribbon flowers with jewel centers, three
- Heavy-duty wire, 24” length
- Recycled pop tabs, two
- Metal screws, two
scissors, paintbrushes, wax candle, sandpaper, iron and pressing surface, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- Sewing machine and thread
- Sizzix Big Shot Die-Cutting Machine and Bird Die
- Alphabet rubber stamps and black pigment ink
- Hand drill with bit, screwdriver
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Cadmium Yellow, Lamp Black
- Beacon Adhesives Tacky Glue
- 1. On covered work surface, paint front of board and clothespins Lamp Black. Paint teardrop shapes Cadmium Yellow. When dry, rub wax candle on front of board and teardrop shapes. Paint signboard Cadmium Yellow and teardrop shapes Lamp Black. Let dry to touch; lightly sand shapes and board to reveal distressed surface.
- 2. Turn board over. Drill holes on top edges of board (for hanger).
- 3. Cut fabric scraps into 2-1/2”x6” strips. Machine-sew long edges of strips together to make three 7”x6” rectangles. Press fabric rectangles. Lay fabric rectangle on bird die and die cut three bird shapes using machine. Machine-sew using freeform motion around edges of each bird.
- 4. Use stamps and pigment ink to stamp “missing socks” at top of board. Let dry.
- 5. Adhere birds to front of board. Adhere teardrop shapes (wings) on fabric birds. Adhere clothespins to bottom of board.
- 6. Adhere ribbon flowers onto wings. Press rhinestones on center of each clothespin; spot glue to secure.
- 7. To hang, use screwdriver to affix screws with pop tabs into each hole on back of board. Insert wire ends through pop tab holes; twist to secure.
- 1. Substitute a sawtooth hanger for pop tabs and screws. Attach hanger onto center back of board.
by Melony Miller Bradley