Fabric Collage Zipper Bag
- Canvas duck or similar weight fabric, 9-1/2”x8-1/2”, two
- Floral print fabric, 6”x6”
- Off-white zipper, 7”
scissors, ruler, pencil, pins, stencil brush, paper towels, iron and pressing surface, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- The Crafter’s Workshop Art Is Stencil (TCW261)
- Sewing machine, zipper foot attachment, and matching thread
- Black acrylic paint
- Fusible webbing, 1/4 yd.
- 1. On covered work surface, load stencil brush with black acrylic paint. Dab onto paper towel to remove some paint.
- 2. Position stencil 1” down and 1-1/2” from side of canvas fabric. Pounce loaded stencil brush onto stencil until design is covered in paint. Carefully remove stencil to reveal image. Let paint dry.
- 3. Choose large flower design from fabric measuring 5”x6”. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to apply fusible webbing to wrong side of floral design. Cut out design using scissors.
- 4. Place flower design, with fusible side down, on stenciled canvas. Refer to photo for approximate placement. Fuse in place using iron.
- 5. Machine-sew around edges of flower design.
- 6. Fold down 1/2” from top of each 9-1/2” piece of canvas fabric. Press with iron.
- 7. Pin pressed wrong side of fabric next to zipper. (Note: The folded edge of fabric should butt against zipper.) Using zipper foot (or regular foot) machine-sew 1/8” from pressed edge of fabric, attaching zipper to fabric.
- 8. With right sides facing, and using 1/4” seam allowance, machine-sew around three sides (two sides and bottom) of bag.
- 9. To create bottom of bag, match seam allowance of side and bottom seams. Measure down 1” from point and machine-sew across. Turn bag right side out.
- 1. Make a matching tote bag, lunch sack, or art supplies pouch in coordinating fabrics and prints.
by Rebekah Meier