Snowman in a Top Hat
- Round papier-mâché box
- Dow STYROFOAM Brand Foam Balls: 4”, 5”
- Creative Paperclay Air-Dry Clay
- Christmas theme scrapbook paper: red, 2”x12”, 2”x8”; white, 1-1/2”x12”, 1-1/2”x8”; red/white, 1”x12”, two; white/green, 1”x6”, two, 1-1/2”x7”
- Christmas theme stickers: layered snowflake, 2”; assorted alphabet letters
- Buttons: green, 3/4”, two; red, 5/8”
- Fibre-Craft Creative Hands Black Craft Foam Sheets, 9”x12”
- Burgundy embroidery floss
- Brown chenille stems, 12” lengths, three
- Assorted fibers, 4” lengths: green ribbon, silver tinsel, red ribbon
- Black brads, two
- Pearl bead, 8mm
- Clear rhinestone, 5mm
- Adhesive-back half pearls, 4mm, two
scissors, ruler, pencil, paintbrush, paper towels, container of water, paper plate for palette, white tissue paper, two craft sticks, push pin, short drinking glasses, two wooden skewers, white copy paper
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Titanium White, Metallic White, Petal Pink, Jack-O’-Lantern Orange, Lamp Black, Chocolate Brown
- DecoArt Twinkle Top Coat Medium
- Ranger Stickles Green Glitter Glue
- Fiskars Scallop Edger Scissors
- Aleene’s: Original Tacky Glue, Fun Craft Foam Glue, Tacky Tape Runner
- 1. Shape 2”x1/2” diameter carrot nose from paper clay; let dry overnight. Mix equal parts Titanium and Metallic White paint on paper plate or palette. Insert craft stick in bottom of each foam ball to use as handle. Paint thick coat of paint mixture on each ball using paintbrush; let dry by propping skewer in short drinking glass. Set box lid aside for another project. Paint inside and outside of box bottom Lamp Black; let dry. Apply Twinkle medium on both foam balls; let dry. Insert push pin in base of carrot nose (as handle); paint nose Jack-O’-Lantern Orange and let dry.
- 2. Cut one skewer in half with scissors. Remove craft sticks from balls; insert both skewer halves into larger ball. Squeeze tacky glue at base of skewers and slide smaller ball on top. Press firmly to secure and set aside to dry.
- 3. Print out pattern. Cut pattern from Black craft foam. Cut inside of circle into thin points following pattern. Outline inside circle and thin points with foam glue; set aside for glue to set up following manufacturer’s instructions.
- 4. Measure and cut strips of red pattern paper to 2”x12” and 2”x8”. Using tape runner, attach strips to open end of box. Measure and cut white pattern paper to 1-1/2”x12” and 1-1/2”x8”; attach to center of red pattern paper creating hat band. Attach snowflake embellishment to hat band using tacky glue. Adhere red button to center of snowflake and two half pearls to button holes. Measure and cut two strips of red/white pattern paper to 1”x12”. Crumple both then flatten; fit one strip around neck of snowman and adhere using tape runner. Cut second strip in half; adhere to left side of neck for scarf using tape runner. Measure and cut two strips of white/green pattern paper to 1”x6”. Fringe 1” side on each strip using scissors; adhere to side of each scarf tail using tape runner. Thread two green buttons with burgundy floss and tie in bow; trim ends and adhere to body using tacky glue.
- 5. Center Black craft foam circle on top of box; gently smooth down each thin point until secure. Crumple two pieces of white tissue paper; place in hat as base for snowman. Attach carrot nose to face using tacky glue. Drybrush cheeks Petal Pink. Insert two black brads above nose for eyes. Using blunt end of paintbrush handle, dot mouth Lamp Black. Let dry.
- 6. Cut 12” chenille stem in half. Wrap each half stem around remaining full stems about 1-1/2” from end; crinkle slightly to resemble twig arms. Insert one twig arm on each side of body. Draw line of Green glitter glue at fringe ends of scarf; let dry.
- 7. Paint second skewer Chocolate Brown. Measure and cut one strip of green/white pattern paper to 1-1/2”x7”; fold in half lengthwise. Place skewer at fold and secure wrong sides of paper together using tape runner. Create flag by cutting triangle in open end with scallop scissors. Spell out “LET IT SNOW” with decorative letter stickers; attach to flag. Tie three fibers at top of skewer; attach pearl bead and rhinestone to top of skewer using tacky glue. Position snowman in hat and flag in snowman’s hand.
- 1. Use the round box lid as a shadow box and fill with holiday-themed items. Hang on the wall as decoration or display in the center of a wreath.
by Beth Watson