Show Time! Movie Night Set
Share some fun one-on-one time with the entire family! Give each family member their own personalized popcorn bowl and mug. Then, pop the corn, cuddle up on the couch, and throw in a great movie for what’s sure to be a fun “Family Movie Night” evening.
- Hofcraft Wooden Bowls
- Maryland China: Mugs (4836), S&P Shakers (5020)
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Bleached Sand, Blue/Grey Mist, Butter, Camel, Deep Midnight Blue, Lamp Black, Light Cinnamon, Melon, Raw Umber, Raw Sienna, Rookwood Red, Snow White, Soft Black, Tuscan Red, Winter Blue
- DecoArt Gloss Enamels: Baby Blue, Baby Pink, Black, Burnt Sienna, Dark Chocolate, Honey Brown, Light Buttermilk, Royal Fuchsia, Sand, Slate Grey, True Blue, Tuscan Red, White
- Adhesive-back alphabet stickers (optional)
1/4" painter's tape, transfer paper, white copy paper, cosmetic-wedge sponge, sandpaper, soft cloth, ruler, rubbing alcohol and cotton swab, palette knife, container of water, palette, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- FM Dynasty Black Gold Paintbrushes: Series 206 Shader #1, #4, #10, #14; Flat Wash 1”; Deerfoot Stippler 1/4”; Round #1; Script Liner 20/0, 10/0; Decorator Collection Series 400 Mini Mop; Faux Squirrel Series 1827 Oval Wash
- DecoArt: Americana Multi-Purpose Sealer, DuraClear Satin Varnish
- Krylon Matte Finish Spray
- 1. Use deerfoot stippler for all drybrushing. Use #10 or #14 shader for most floating. Use mop brush to soften floats, gently pouncing over water’s edge. All line work is done using either 20/0 or 10/0 liners; always thin paint to inky consistency, fully load liner, then blot tip.
- Prepare Surfaces
- 1. For bowls, sand and seal all surfaces; sand again and wipe smooth with soft cloth. Adhere 1/4” tape around top of each bowl; press firmly to seal in place. Basecoat each bowl Bleached Sand. Basecoat top edge of bowls Lamp Black. Sand surfaces lightly to smooth. Allow to dry for several hours.
- 2. For smaller bowls, turn over on work surface so bottoms are at top. Begin applying tape to bowls; adhere one strip across center of bowl from one edge to opposite edge, dividing bowl in half. Repeat, dividing bowl in quarters, then in eighths, then in sixteenths, and finally in thirty-seconds. (Note: Do not overly concern yourself with exact divisions.)
- 3. Print out patterns onto copy paper. For large bowl, transfer “Show Time” sign outline; apply tape within edges to preserve Bleached Sand basecoat. Adhere 1/4” tape to bowl in same manner as small bowls.
- 4. To prevent seepage under tape, apply thin layer wood sealer over taped bowls. Let dry. Use cosmetic-wedge sponge to sponge two coats Tuscan Red over taped bowls. Remove tape immediately and allow paint to dry thoroughly. Sand lightly.
- 5. Transfer basic details. Use acrylic paints for wood surfaces and enamel paints for ceramic surfaces throughout.
- Large Bowl
- 1. Float Raw Umber along inside edges of sign. Use Lamp Black to paint wording. Use Soft Black to shade under elements and to darken corners and crevices.
- 2. Basecoat popcorn Butter. Float Raw Sienna along edges to divide popcorn and to create dip or corn shell; darken corners with Light Cinnamon. Add a few soft Snow White highlight areas. See Worksheet. (see photos)
- 3. Basecoat soda cup and straw Snow White. Add Tuscan Red pinstripes to each. Float Blue/Grey Mist along left side.
- 4. Basecoat reel Blue/Grey Mist and inside “holes” on film Soft Black. Use brush mix of Blue/Grey Mist and Snow White to outline details around holes; pick up Snow White to highlight. Float Lamp Black to divide front and back of reel and to softly float around reel markings. Basecoat trailing film strip Soft Black; use #1 shader to add Snow White strip markings along edges.
- 1. Transfer designs on each bowl, inside and out, working both in same manner.
- 2. Float Soft Black below each; darken corners and crevices with second coat. Basecoat ticket #1 Snow White; add Tuscan Red outline and shade soft Blue/Grey Mist behind popcorn. Basecoat ticket #2 Camel; use Light Cinnamon to outline and to shade folds and behind popcorn. Drybrush center Butter. Basecoat ticket #3 Winter Blue; use Deep Midnight Blue to outline and to shade. Use brush mix of Snow White and Winter Blue to drybrush center highlight. Basecoat ticket #4 Melon; use Rookwood Red to outline and shade. Use brush mix of Melon and Snow White to drybrush center highlight.
- 3. Use Lamp Black to paint names. (Optional: Use adhesive alphabet letters if desired.) Paint popcorn in same manner as above.
- Mugs and Shakers
- 1. Remove plugs from bottom of shakers and set aside. Use 1/4” tape to mask off center area of shakers and mugs, measuring approximately 1” from top and bottom. Press tape firmly to secure in place. Use rubbing alcohol to wipe surfaces within taped areas.
- 2. Use cosmetic-wedge sponge to sponge center area Light Buttermilk to opaque coverage allowing to dry 30 minutes between coats. Remove tape in a slight angle. Let cure 48 hours.
- 3. Place ceramic items in cold oven, set temperature to 325˚F, and bake for 30 minutes; turn off oven and open door. Allow surface to cool before removing from oven.
- 4. Replace tape along outer edges of painted areas. Add vertical tape strips within painted area, using tape to measure and space evenly apart. Press tape to secure in place. Use cosmetic-wedge sponge to sponge two coats Tuscan Red; let dry 30 minutes between coats. Remove all tape and allow paint to cure overnight.
- 1. Transfer designs. Basecoat marshmallows White. Basecoat one ticket Baby Pink and other ticket Baby Blue.
- 2. For shadows, use palette knife to mix (3:1) mixture of Dark Chocolate + Black. Float mix under marshmallow; apply second coat if desired.
- 3. Shade Royal Fuchsia on pink ticket behind marshmallow and True Blue on blue ticket. Float Slate Grey on marshmallows. Use Black to paint wording.
- 1. Transfer designs. Paint wording Lamp Black and basecoat popcorn Sand.
- 2. Follow above instructions to shade popcorn using Honey Brown; deepen with Burnt Sienna.
- 1. Use White to highlight along left side of each letter. Using photo as guide, randomly dot White or Black around wording as shown. Let cure 48 hours. Erase any graphite lines. Bake mugs and shakers again following above instructions.
- 2. For care, hand wash in lukewarm water with mild soap. Do not use abrasive cleansers. Do not soak for lengthy period. Air dry or gently dry with soft cloth. Painted items are not dishwasher safe.
- 1. To make each movie week even more fun, click on the recipe icon try this great popcorn treat!
by Sue Beckerton