Stocking Cap Snowmen
- Dow STYROFOAM Brand Foam Balls, two each: 1-1/2”, 2”, 3”
- Wooden skewers, 12” lengths, two
- Felt: green, white, gold, pink
- Green thread
- White pom-pom, 1/8”
- Mini silk greenery
old candle or bar of soap, old bowl or cup (for water), tall glass jar, scissors, sandpaper, serrated knife, paintbrush, spoon, needle, pencil, ruler, straight pins, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- White acrylic paint
- Lightweight acrylic spackling
- Fine-tip permanent markers: black, red
- Adhesives: thick white craft glue, low-temp glue gun and sticks
- 1. Wax knife blade with old candle or bar of soap. Cut small slice from top and bottom of 3” and 2” balls, and small slice from bottom of 1-1/2” ball.
- 2. Assemble snowman using low-temp glue gun.
- 3. On covered work surface, insert wooden skewer into bottom of snowman and use as handle. Brush thin coat of lightweight acrylic spackling all over snowman using paintbrush. Dip brush in water occasionally to help create smooth surface. When finished, place skewer into jar to dry. Let dry thoroughly.
- 4. Apply second coat of spackling, if desired. Let dry thoroughly.
- 5. Sand lightly. Rub surface of snowman lightly with back of spoon to burnish surface.
- 6. Cut wooden skewer into four 3” lengths (for arms). Paint snowman and arms white. Let dry.
- 7. Make small holes in sides of snowman for arms using pointed tool or sharpened pencil. To attach each arm, place dot of glue on hole and push arm into snowman.
- 8. Print out pattern. Trace and cut out hat from green felt. Sew hat together using 1/8” seam. Turn right side out; pin in place on snowman head, positioning seam at back.
- 9. Adhere 1/4”x5” strip of white felt around base of hat. Adhere tiny strip of white felt around wrist on each arm for cuffs.
- 10. Draw eyes and mouth using fine-tip permanent markers.
- 11. Adhere pom-pom on face for nose. Adhere small pink circles on face for cheeks.
- 12. Cut 12”x1/2” strip of gold felt for scarf. Trim scarf to 1/4”-wide at center; tie around neck. Adhere faux greenery onto hat.
- 1. Use fabric glue to adhere hat together instead of using needle and thread.
by Kathleen George for The Dow Chemical Company