Fran the Flamingo Treat Holder
size: 21” tall
- Recycled oatmeal canister (with lid)
- Recycled paper towel tubes, three
- Plastic-foam balls: 3”, 4”
- Craft foam: dark pink, light pink
- Wiggle eyes, two
paintbrush, scissors, serrated knife, ruler, paper plate, black marker, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- Acrylic paints: black, white, bright pink, light pink
- Hot pink dimensional paint
- Craft glue
- 1. Adults, help kids when using serrated knife.
- 2. Use knife to cut oatmeal container (body) to height of 5” and one paper towel tube (neck) to 5” length. Adhere 4” plastic-foam ball (head) to top of neck.
- 3. Adhere remaining two paper towel tubes (legs) to bottom of body. For feet, cut 3” plastic-foam ball in half. Adhere each halve onto bottom of legs.
- 4. On covered work surface, paint head, neck, and body bright pink. Paint legs and feet black. Let dry.
- 5. Print out patterns. Cut out patterns. Use black marker to color in details on beak. Adhere beak on head. Paint black triangle on head on each side of beak. Let dry.
- 6. Paint light pink hearts on body as desired. Let dry.
- 7. Adhere neck on top of lid on body. Adhere wings on sides of body and eyes on head.
- 8. Fill body with notes and treats for your Valentine!
- 1. Gently rub plastic-foam halves on work surface to aid in flamingo standing upright.
by Rebecca Spohn