Sonnet Book Purse
- Book of sonnets or romantic poems
- Papier-mâché heart boxes, 2”x2”, two
- Small metal plate and magnet (for closure)
- Decorative paperclip
- Small bell
- Silver bud vase pin (optional)
ruler, paintbrush, sandpaper, masking tape, craft knife, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- Gold pigment powder
- Gold leafing pen
- Plaid Gloss Mod Podge
- 1. Cut heart boxes to height of 3/4”. Cut and position boxes together in overlapped double-heart shape.
- 2. Open book. Set aside 70 pages at back of book; remainder of pages are purse. Cut from back pages towards front cover to make opening in book same size as double-heart shape. Position heart boxes in cut-out on book; re-cut if needed. Remove double-heart shape.
- 3. Cut small hole next to double-heart shape for magnet; insert magnet. Paint cut-out surface and boxes with two coats of gesso; place sheet of paper over painted area, close book, and place weight on cover until fully dry.
- 4. Cut strips of paper from discarded pages. Découpage cut-out double-heart shape and inside surface of book with paper strips and Mod Podge. Embellish inside area with chosen phrases and verses.
- 5. Sandwich metal plate between first five loose back pages closest to cut-out; position metal plate over magnet when book is closed. Use Mod Podge to adhere five loose pages together, sealing metal plate in position. Leave remaining 65 pages loose for reading. Let dry.
- 6. Gild outside edges of book using gold leafing pen.
- 7. Mix small amount of gold pigment powder with varnish; apply thin coat of mixture on book. Repeat until book shines.
- 8. Adhere ribbon tied to small bell inside front cover; add decorative paperclip. Adhere silver heart bud vase to front of book. Insert rosebud inside bud vase if desired.
- 1. Take care when cutting out shape inside book to not tear pages. Cut a small amount of pages at a time, using double-heart outline as pattern throughout.
by Michelle Zimmerman