Secret Garden Altered Book
- Children’s picture book, or book of choice
- Smooth bright white cardstock
- Acetate or clear plastic sheets
- Grapevine bark or small nest
- White air-dry clay
detail scissors, craft knife, ruler, pencil, large rubber bands
- Stampendous! Stamps: Single Butterfly (F227), Queen Bee Perfectly Clear Set (SSC1154), Cling Jumbo Butterfly Trio (CRS5044), Nestled Bird (R158)
- Tsukineko Memento Tuxedo Black Ink Pad
- .Too Marker Corp. COPIC Markers
- Adhesives: adhesive runner, clear dots, paper glue, glue gun and sticks
- 1. Before creating rolled book base, reduce number of pages in book to approximately 15. Adhere pages together using adhesive runner, or remove excess pages from book.
- 2. Adhere first and last pages to inside covers of book as shown. These pages will be visible once remaining pages are rolled, so be sure pages are attractive and colorful.
- 3. To create rolled base, see Photo 1. Pick up bottom right corner of first loose page. Bring corner to center of inner binding and adhere with strong adhesive. (see photos)
- 4. Repeat to roll second page behind first; see Photo 2. Continuing rolling pages until base is complete. Be careful not to crease rolled pages. See Photo 3 for finished view of open ends of rolled pages. Set aside book base. (see photos)
- 5. Using photo as guide, stamp as many Tuxedo Black butterfly and bee images as desired. (Note: Designer stamped approximately 50 insects.) Color images with COPIC markers. Detail cut images; set aside.
- 6. Stamp two Tuxedo Black bird images. Stamp additional flower clusters. Color and detail cut images, including several individual blossoms; see Photo 4. Set birds and flowers aside. (see photos)
- 7. Soak grapevine bark in water to soften. Wrap bark into small nest shape; secure with rubber bands until completely dry.
- 8. Adhere bird images into nest as shown using clear dots.
- 9. Roll three small oval eggs from air-dry clay; let dry completely. Using photos as guide, color eggs with markers. Adhere eggs inside nest using glue gun; let dry. Adhere nest into book using glue gun; let dry.
- 10. Cut acetate into several 1/4”-wide strips. Fold one end of first strip down 1/2”. Place butterfly or bee image on folded end of strip using clear dot. Trim acetate strip to 3” long beneath image.
- 11. Repeat Step 10 for approximately half of stamped images.
- 12. To create “fluttering” insects, insert straight end of acetate strip between pages and adhere with clear dots. Alternately, cut tiny slit in rolled page and insert acetate strip into slit; see Photo 5. Fold end of acetate strip over 1/2” and adhere to inside back of book page using clear dots. (see photos)
- 13. Using clear dots, adhere remaining insect and flower images directly to pages. Some images should appear to come out from between pages. Vary direction of images for most natural look. Continue until all images are attached to book base.
- 14. If desired, adhere additional pieces of grapevine bark between rolled pages. (Note: If pages begin to slump from weight of images, add additional adhesive between pages to hold rolled shape.)
- 1. Create book using fairy stamps, fish and mermaids, flowers, or any other theme you love!
by Jennifer Dove