Remember those who gave their lives for your freedom when you wear one of these cross-stitched patriotic pockets. These easy-to-stitch designs are the perfect way to show your patriotism and celebrate your American spirit.
- 10”x10” White 14-count Aida
- 6-strand Embroidery Floss (DMC)
- Fabric, 10"x11": patriotic, solid (lining)
- Coordinating ribbon
Backstitch : 1 strand
Cross-stitch : 2 strands
needle, scissors, ruler, box
- Sewing machine and thread
- Fabric spray adhesive
- Size / Stitch Count
- 1. Size: 3-1/8”x 3-5/8”; stitch count: 44 w x 52 h
- 1. DO NOT STITCH POCKET OUTLINE - Use for making pocket. Dotted line to be used as folding line and pattern guide for pocket and lining.
- 1. Print cross-stitch charts and keys. Stitch designs centered on fabric.
- 2. Use dotted pocket outline on cross-stitch chart as pattern. Cut two pieces of patriotic fabric for pocket and two of solid fabric for lining 1/2" beyond outline on all sides.
- 3. Sew sides and bottom of pocket with right sides together using 1/4” seam allowance. Do not turn right side out. Set aside.
- 4. Sew sides and bottom of lining with right sides together using 1/4" seam allowance, leaving 1” opening along bottom. Turn right side out.
- 5. Place lining inside pocket fabric with right sides together, sewing along top of pocket. Turn right side out using opening in lining to turn fabric. Sew opening closed; press.
- 6. Cut cross-stitched design 3/8" beyond dotted pocket outline on all sides. Be careful - DO NOT CUT ON DOTTED LINE. Fold and press on dotted outline.
- 7. To protect work surface from spray adhesive, place cross-stitch pieces with wrong sides up inside box. Following manufacturer's instructions, spray adhesive onto back side of design. Position cross-stitch design on stitched pocket front. Making sure design is properly aligned, start at one end and smooth design onto pocket.
- 8. Cut two 6" ribbon lengths for each pocket. Stitch each ribbon to inside top corners of pockets as shown. Tie into bow.
by Frony Ritter