Folk Art Fantasy Table Topper
stitch count: 120 W x 100 h; approx. finished size: 12” x 10”
- 18”x16” 10-count Cream Tula (Zweigart)
- 6-strand Embroidery Floss (DMC)
- 6-strand Overdyed Sampler Threads (The Gentle Art)
- #5 Perle Cotton (2 skeins #4045) (DMC)
- 9”x9” Loden (#0709) Woolfelt (National Nonwovens)
- 9”x22” or 1/4” yd. Grassy Meadows (#2710) Woolfelt (National Nonwovens)
- 1/2 yd. white all-purpose woven fusible interfacing
- Drawing compass
- Large sheet of paper for tracing
- Lightweight cardboard
- White fabric glue
Backstitch/Straight Stitch : 2 strands
Cross-stitch : 3 strands
French Knot : 2 strands
- 1. Stitch design centered on fabric. When stitching is completed, press on wrong side. Cut piece of interfacing slightly smaller than fabric. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to fuse interfacing to wrong side of stitched fabric. Trace quarteroval pattern onto paper; cut out. Fold large piece of paper in half horizontally, then vertically. Lay quarter-oval pattern flat sides to folded sides of paper; trace oval and cut out. Open folded paper and center oval on top of stitched design; pin and cut out. Machine finish edges.
- 2. To make Felt Penny Circle, use drawing compass 1-1/2” and 2-1/4” diameter circles onto cardboard; cut out. With dark pen, trace 22 large circles (traditionally called pennies) onto dark green felt; cut out. Trace 22 small circles onto light green felt; cut out. (NOTE: For circles with smooth edges, hold scissors steady in one hand while cutting and turning felt with other hand. Small imperfections will be covered with buttonhole stitching.) Use small dab of glue to adhere small felt circles to center of large felt circles. When dry use, chenille needle threaded with DMC #4045 perle cotton to buttonhole stitch around outside edge of each small circle, attaching to large circles by sewing through both left layers. To finish off buttonhole stitched, continue around to catch first stitch with last stitch; knot ends of back.
- 3. To attach Pennies, position appliquéd felt circles around outside perimeter of stitched design. Felt pennies should overlap stitched oval about 1” (adjust as needed to fill space). Lightly glue or pin in place. Using perle cotton, buttonhole stitch pennies in place. Sew through felt circles and backing on inside edge and through single dark green felt layer on outside edge. Continue buttonhole stitching around pennies, knotting on back and adding thread as needed to complete circles.
by Lettie Eckberg for The Needle’s Notion