Dyed Muslin Favor Bags
size: 5”x6-1/2”, 3”x4-1/2”
- Cotton muslin, 1/4 yd.
- Burlap, scrap
- Black wool felt, scrap
- Cotton string
- Fairfield Poly-fil Polyester Fiberfill
- Flat-backed rhinestones
washing machine, small mixing container, mixing spoon, hot water, rubber gloves, old towel, iron and pressing surface, straight pins, plastic tablecloth or trash bag, rotary cutter and mat
- Sewing machine and black thread
- Sizzix Big Shot Die-Cutting System and Dies: Primitive Hearts, Small Flower
- Rit Liquid Dyes: Purple, Denim Blue, Kelly Green, Lemon Yellow
- Alphabet stamps and black pigment ink
- Adhesives: The Warm Co. Lite Steam-a-Seam; Beacon Adhesives Gem-Tac and Fabri-Tac Permanent Adhesive
- 1. Machine wash cotton muslin. Cover work surface with plastic tablecloth or trash bag. Wearing rubber gloves, mix 1/2 tsp. Kelly Green, 1 Tbsp. Lemon Yellow, and 1 cup hot water in small mixing container. (Note: Water should be 140º or hotter.) Stir with mixing spoon. Submerge fabric and 12” string length into dye bath. Let set for four minutes. Remove from dye bath; squeeze out excess dye and rinse under cool tap water. Squeeze out excess water; wrap in old towel to remove water and dye. Let dry. Iron on pressing surface to remove wrinkles. Repeat process for lavender fabric, mixing 1/8 tsp. Purple, 1/8 tsp. Denim Blue and 1 cup hot water.
- 2. Use rotary cutter and mat to cut two 6”x7-1/2” or two 4”x5-1/2” pieces from dyed fabric. Following manufacturer’s instructions, fuse small scrap (approximately 1-1/2”x2”) of white muslin to fusible webbing using iron. Use alphabet stamps and solvent ink for sentiment of choice to stamp muslin. Heat set with iron on medium setting.
- 3. Die cut heart from burlap. Die cut flower from black wool felt. Pin burlap heart to front of bag and machine-sew around edges, leaving small opening for stuffing. Lightly stuff with fiberfill and sew opening closed. Machine-sew stamped sentiment 1/4” from edge using straight or zig-zag stitch.
- 4. Steam 1/2” seam at top of bag pieces; machine sew using zig-zag or straight stitch. Place right sides of bag together and sew sides using 1/2” seam allowance on left, bottom, and right sides of bag. Steam seams open. Turn bag right side out and press.
- 5. Use fabric glue to adhere black felt flower on bag. Adhere rhinestone on flower center using Gem-Tac. Adhere dyed string onto top of bag (for handle) using Fabri-Tac. Let dry.
- 1. Check out the ColoRit Color Formula Guide on Rit’s web site and learn how to dye 500 different colors!
by Melony Miller Bradley