Add a little glitz to your Independence Day table with this easy-to-make star-spangled centerpiece!
- Dow STYROFOAM Brand Foam Block 2”x5”x7”
- Fabric: red/white striped, 6”x19”; blue/white star, 6-1/2”x9”
- Red Felt, 1-7/8”x6-7/8”
- Star picks: four blue, three red, two red/white/blue
- Silver metallic bag filler
pencil, scissors, ruler, iron and pressing surface, melon baller
- Iron-on adhesive
- Star cookie cutter, 3-1/2”
- Pebbles or fishing weights, 1/2 cup
- Wire cutters
- 1. For vase bottom, use melon baller to scoop out a small cavity from one long 2”-wide end of plastic foam. See photo. Center and adhere striped fabric to vase, overlapping edges, folding and adhering excess fabric to top and bottom of vase.
- 2. Following manufacturer’s directions for adhesive, iron adhesive to wrong side of star print fabric. Use cookie cutter to trace two stars on wrong wide of fabric; cut out. Iron one star to upper left corner of one long side of vase. Repeat for back.
- 3. Adhere pebbles or fishing weights into vase, filling cavity. Adhere felt to bottom of vase.
- 4. Use scissors to curl several streamers from picks. Use wire cutters to cut 3-1/2” length from bottom of each pick; adjust length of pick as necessary. See photo. Insert picks into top of vase.
- 5. Adhere filler to top of vase.
- 1. Spray glitter on base to add some sparkle to your centerpiece.
by Annabelle Keller