- Table Top Night Light with 4 Inserts (#100426) from Cabin Crafters
- DecoArt Americana Acrylics: Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber, Cadmium Red, Canyon Orange, Deep Burgundy, Deep Midnight Blue, Evergreen, Lamp Black, Light Avocado, Light Buttermilk, Marigold, Mississippi Mud, Uniform Blue, Warm White, Williamsburg Blue, Winter Blue
- Checkered stencil, 3/8”
- FM Dynasty Black Gold Paintbrushes, Series 206: Angular, 1/2”; Flat Wash, 1/2”; Liner, #5/0, #10/0; Round, #2; Shader, #4, #8, #12
- Various stencil brushes
- Interior spray varnish, satin
- 1. Use fine grit sandpaper to sand all surface areas. Wipe dust. Paint inside of box Deep Midnight Blue. Paint lid Lt. Avocado. Paint bottom base Deep Burgundy and band just above base Lt. Avocado. Paint remainder of box Williamsburg Blue. Use mix of Winter Blue + Williamsburg Blue (1:1) to stencil checked pattern around front edges.
- 2. Print out pattern. Line up pattern with branch cut out on insert. Transfer basic details onto insert.
- 1. Base sky area Uniform Blue. Use slipslap motion to dry brush Warm White here and there throughout sky area. Use Deep Midnight Blue to shade outer edges of insert and behind edges of snowman and cardinal.
- 1. Use Lt. Buttermilk to base head, snow on head, hands, and body. Use Warm White to highlight snow on head and top of belly; dry brush center of face. Use Mississippi Mud to shade head under snow, bottom corners of head, on hands under sleeve cuffs, on body under charcoal button, and along bottom of body.
- 2. Transfer facial details. Use Mississippi Mud to shade under nose, eyebrows, and corner of eyes. Dry brush cheeks Cadmium Red; add Warm White highlight dots. Base nose Canyon Orange; shade Burnt Sienna along bottom edge and back end. Add Warm White “snow” on tip of nose. Base eyes and charcoal button Lamp Black. Float Williamsburg Blue along bottom round of eyes and top right of button. Paint lashes and brows with thinned Lamp Black.
- 3. Base sweater Cadmium Red; shade Deep Burgundy. Transfer line pattern. Add a dab of Burnt Umber to Deep Burgundy; paint rib lines on sleeve cuffs and bottom band. Use 5/0 liner and thinned Deep Burgundy to paint diagonal lines on sweater body and sleeves. Use Warm White to paint “SNOW” stitching.
- 4. Base scarf Williamsburg Blue. Use #4 shader and very thin Winter Blue to paint stripes on scarf and scarf tails. Use 5/0 liner and thinned Evergreen to line down center of each stripe. Highlight scarf and tails Lt. Buttermilk and shade Deep Midnight Blue. Line scarf tail ends Winter Blue and use thinned Winter Blue to line fringes.
- Tree Branches
- 1. Base branches, and twigs on head Mississippi Mud; while wet, streak in a little Lt. Buttermilk and Burnt Umber. Use 10/0 liner and Evergreen to pull pine needles from branch ends; repeat with Lt. Avocado. Highlight a few needles with Warm White.
- 1. Base beaks Marigold; shade Burnt Sienna. Base cardinal Cadmium Red and shade Deep Burgundy. Paint facemask Lamp Black. Dot eye Lt. Buttermilk.
- 2. Base blue bird Winter Blue and shade Williamsburg Blue. Use Deep Midnight Blue to deepen shading around outside of wing and bottom of tail feather. Use Lamp Black to dot eye and to finely outline bird.
- 1. Use stylus to dot Warm White “snowflakes” throughout insert.
- 2. Apply several varnish coats.
by Sandy Holman-Sackett