Up on the Roof Top Reindeer Pause...
- DecoArt Americana Acrylics: Berry Red, Bittersweet Chocolate, Citron Green, Dark Chocolate, Festive Green, Indian Turquoise, Lavender, Milk Chocolate, Royal Fuchsia, Spa Blue, True Blue, Warm White
- Brushes: Royal & Langnickel: Majestic: Angular, Series R4160, 1/8”, 1/4”; Short Liner, Series R4595, #0; Aqualon: Shader, Series R2150, #2; Glaze Wash, Series R2700, 1”
- DecoArt DuraClear Varnish, Matte
- Plaque-Long Framed Arch Board (#20-10898), 28”x12” from Viking Woodcrafts
- White tube sock
- Plastic wrap
- 1. Remove insert. Base entire frame with two light coats Warm White. Set aside. Base insert with one coat Spa Blue. Let dry. Sand gently in direction of wood grain; wipe dust with damp cloth.
- 2. Wrap a piece of slightly dampened white tube sock around two index fingers; dab into Warm White and wipe sock back and forth along bottom third of board fading into middle. For sky, turn insert around, and in same manner using clean piece of sock, wipe Indian Turquoise back and forth top third, fading into middle. Let dry.
- 3. Use glaze/wash and to apply very washy Warm White over entire painted insert; while wet and working quickly, place a sheet of plastic wrap over entire insert, covering wash. Pat plastic wrap down then squish and crumple over surface. Pat plastic wrap down firmly again and set timer for fifteen minutes; gently pull up plastic wrap revealing icy faux finish. Let dry completely.
- 4. Print out pattern; transfer basic details onto insert.
- Artist’s Tip
- 1. Most of this design is done using a wash as opposed to a solid basecoat. It is important to allow washes to dry between layers to achieve certain shadings by applying layers of colors. Icy faux finish should be somewhat visible through design elements for added interest.
- 1. Wash each reindeer Milk Chocolate working around pattern details. Repeat wash around outer edges of entire body then repeat again. Use 1/8” angular to shade Milk Chocolate under noses. (Note: If washes are deep in color, it may be necessary to use next darker brown to shade.)
- 2. Paint Rudolph’s nose with one layer Berry Red. Use Dk. Chocolate to paint remaining noses with two layers; paint hooves and dot eyes. Use same color to paint antlers with one layer Dk. Chocolate. Paint curled feelers Bittersweet Chocolate. Add Milk Chocolate detailing to ears as shown on pattern. Add Warm White highlight shines to eyes and nose. Add Berry Red stripes to legs.
- Rudolph’s Blanket
- 1. Working from outside in, paint sections in following color washes: Lavender, Citron Green, Berry Red, and True Blue. Wash True Blue again along left side to deepen. Use 1/4” angular to lightly shade Festive Green along outer edges of green area. Use Festive Green to add swirl detailing and “JOY” to green section. Use handle end of brush to add three Lavender dots on blue section; add Warm White highlight shines when dry.
- Prancer (tree on back)
- 1. Working from outside in paint blanket sections in following color washes: Royal Fuchsia, Citron Green, and Lavender. Wash bow at base of tree Berry Red. Repeat washes along outer edges in same colors to shade. Highlight green section here and there with Festive Green. Add Berry Red zigzag lines on fuchsia section. Add four Lavender dots on lavender section; add Warm White highlight shines when dry.
- 2. Base tree trunk with one layer Dk. Chocolate. Wash tree Festive Green. Repeat wash to shade areas, concentrating on left side and under boughs. Add Festive Green dots and lining details.
- Dancer (small purple present on back)
- 1. Working from outside in paint blanket sections in following color washes: True Blue, Citron Green, Berry Red, Citron Green. Use Festive Green to wash innermost green section then outline edges. Use Festive Green to shade outer edges of outermost green section and to add line detailing. Add Lavender flower petals on red area.
- 2. Wash present Lavender; repeat wash to shade. Wash bow True Blue; repeat wash to shade. Base name tag Royal Fuchsia; add Warm White name of choice. Wash whimsical berries Berry Red. Add Warm White highlight shines at top of berries and bow.
- Comet (splayed legs)
- 1. Wash ribbon around waist Festive Green and harness Berry Red. Wash ornament on left Festive Green. Repeat wash to shade around and define edges. Add True Blue hook and bow. Paint candy cane Warm White; add alternating stripes of Berry Red and Festive Green. Wash whimsical berries Lavender and paint stems True Blue. Add Warm White highlight shines on berries and bow.
- 2. Wash bow on Donner’s neck (top reindeer over Comet) Berry Red.
- Dasher (between Prancer and Rudolph)
- 1. Wash bow Berry Red. Wash whimsical berries True Blue; repeat wash to shade. Add Warm White highlight shines on berries.
- Blitzen (behind Santa and Vixen)
- 1. Working from outside in paint blanket sections in following color washes: Citron Green, True Blue, Citron Green, Lavender. Repeat wash in same colors to shade. Add Citron Green zigzag detailing over blue section.
- Vixen (in front of Blitzen)
- 1. Working from outside in paint blanket sections in following color washes: True Blue, Berry Red, Citron Green. Use Festive Green to wash green section, and to outline and add horizontal detailing lines. Use Lavender to add swirl detailing and “MERRY” on red section.
- 2. Wash present Lavender; repeat wash on left side to shade. Wash bow True Blue; repeat to shade. Wash whimsical berries Royal Fuchsia; paint stems Lavender. Add Warm White highlight shines on top of berries and bow.
- 1. Wash hat and coat Berry Red working around coat stripes. Wash coat stripes Festive Green, Lavender, and Citron Green. Repeat wash in same colors to shade. Add a hint of Festive Green along right edge of Citron Green stripe. Add Warm White stripes to hat.
- 2. Wash sack Milk Chocolate; use same color in full strength to line star. Using photo as guide, base one present Festive Green with Berry Red bow and ribbon, and other present True Blue with Festive Green bow and ribbon. Base candy cane Warm White; add Berry Red stripes.
- 3. Use Warm White to wash hat brim, mustache, and beard; deepen and add highlight lines on mustache and beard. Wash hands and face Milk Chocolate. Base holly leaves on hat Festive Green; shade and detail in same color. Use handle end of brush to dot berries Citron Green. Shade berries Festive Green and add Warm White highlight shines. Wash leggings Berry Red. Wash boots Lavender and add deeper stripes. For whimsical trim on bottom of coat, wash in alternating colors of Festive Green, Lavender, True Blue, and Citron Green; repeat wash in same colors to shade. Add Warm White highlight shines. Line strings Festive Green.
- Chimney and Presents
- 1. Wash chimney Milk Chocolate, working around snow areas, and fading towards top. Repeat wash near top of chimney and top left side. Use full strength Milk Chocolate to add faint brick lines fading towards top. Add Warm White snowy stripes and snow at top of chimney; use 1/4” angular to add smoke curls. Add Warm White snowflakes across sky and coming out of chimney. (Note: Pull strokes from outside in lifting brush towards center for a whimsical touch.)
- 2. Wash presents near chimney in Lavender and True Blue. Repeat wash in same colors to shade. Add Festive Green bow and ribbon to lavender present; shade in same color and add Warm White highlight shines. Add Berry Red bow and ribbon to blue present. Wash whimsical Royal Fuchsia berries; paint stems Berry Red. Add Warm White highlight shines.
- 1. Use old toothbrush to spatter entire insert Warm White. Use handle end of paintbrush to add random Warm White dots.
- 2. Apply two coats varnish. Let dry. Replace insert into frame.
by Monika Brint