- DecoArt Americana Acrylics: Antique Rose, Arbor Green, Blue Haze, Burnt Orange, Camel, Cool White, Deep Burgundy, Hauser Dark Green, Lamp (Ebony) Black, Melon, Mint Julep Green, Pumpkin, Soft Black, Soft Blue, Warm White
- Brushes: FM Dynasty Black Gold, Series 206: Round, #3; Shader, #4, #8; Liner, #0, #1; Script, #20/0; Angular, 1/8”, 1/4”, 3/8”; Flat Wash, 3/4”; Filbert, #2, #4; Deerfoot, 1/8”
- DecoArt Americana Wood Sealer; Americana Acrylic Sealer/Finisher, Matte; Paint Adhesion Medium
- Loew-Cornell Berry Maker, Large
- Ruddy Red Cheek Chalk from Cupboard Distributing
- Candlesticks (#01-P499), 8-1/4” tall, (#01-P502), 6-3/8” tall, Mini Birds (#01-7191), 4, and Brass Inserts (#11-P007), 2 from Cupboard Distributing
- White taper candles, two
- 1. Lightly sand candlesticks; wipe dust. Use flat wash to apply one coat wood sealer; let dry. Lightly sand and wipe dust.
- 2. Print out patterns. Use flat wash to base snowmen face areas Warm White. Transfer basic outlines onto candlesticks. Transfer details as needed.
- Tall Candlestick
- 1. Top Section: Use #8 shader to base background area Soft Blue; use 1/4” angular to shade Blue Haze below “snow drips”. Use stylus to randomly dot Warm White snowflakes. Use #8 shader to paint snow drips Warm White; use 1/4” angular to highlight Cool White along tips. Use 3/8” angular to lightly float Soft Blue around top of section.
- 2. Middle Section: use flat wash to base entire section Soft Blue. Use 3/8” angular to shade Blue Haze below garland and around bottom of section. Randomly dot Cool White snowflake dots below garland area. For garland, use handle end of brush to dot Melon beads. When dry, load berry maker with Deep Burgundy; center over beads, press down, and twist. Add tiny Cool White highlight shine to upper left corner of each bead.
- 3. Candlestick Rings: Base each Blue Haze. For snowflakes, use script liner and thinned Cool White to paint lines; use stylus to dot ends.
- 4. Snowman Face (bottom section): Use #4 filbert to base eyes Soft Black; use 1/8” angular to float Soft Blue along bottom and up right side of eyes. Add tiny Cool White highlight shine to upper left side of eyes. Use liner and thinned Lamp Black to paint eyebrows and mouth, use script liner for lashes. Use 1/4” angular to shade Soft Blue below eyebrows, nose, and mouth.
- 5. Use #3 round to base nose Burnt Orange; use 1/4” angular to shade Deep Burgundy along bottom edge and float Pumpkin along top edge. Use thinned Lamp Black to outline and to add ridges. Use 1/2” deerfoot to blush cheeks with Rudy Red Cheek Chalk. Use thinned Cool White to paint snowflakes on cheeks; dot ends.
- 1. Pine Branches: Use script liner and thinned Soft Black to paint pine branches and thin layer of pine needles; keep pine needles light and wispy. Continue with another layer of pine needles using thinned Hauser Dk. Green and then Arbor Green. Add Mint Julep Green needles to highlight. Use script liner and thinned Hauser Dk. Green to paint curling vines.
- 2. Holly Leaves: Use #3 round to base Arbor Green. Use 1/4” angular to float Hauser Dk. Green along bottom edges and down center; float Mint Julep Green along top edges and down opposite side of center. Use thinned Lamp Black to outline leaves. Use #4 filbert to paint berries Melon; use 1/8” angular to float Deep Burgundy around outer edges. Add Cool White highlight shine in upper left corner.
- 3. Bird: Use #3 round to base Antique Rose; use 1/8” angular to float Deep Burgundy around base of head, tail, bottom of wing, and above wing; highlight Melon along top of head, tip of tail, top of wing, and back. Use #1 liner to paint beak Camel. Use stylus to dot eyes Soft Black and add tiny Cool White highlight shines with smaller end of stylus.
- 4. Snowflakes: Use script liner and Soft Blue to paint snowflakes around greenery and top of snowman face; dot ends with stylus.
- 1. Use #8 shader to paint in same manner as Candlestick Rings.
- Short Candlestick
- 1. Face: Paint in same manner as Tall Candlestick face; use #2 round for eyes and nose and use 1/8” angular to float Soft Blue below face features and 1/4” deerfoot to blush cheeks Ruddy Red. Use script liner and thinned Warm White to paint snowflakes on cheeks; dot ends with stylus.
- 2. Body: Use flat wash to base background area Soft Blue. Use 1/4” angular to shade Blue Haze below “snow drips”.
- 3. Greenery and Bird: Paint each in same manner as Tall Candlestick. Use stylus to randomly dot background Warm White.
- 4. Rings: Use #4 and #8 shaders to base rings Blue Haze. Use script liner and thinned Blue Haze to paint snowflakes; dot ends with stylus.
- Wooden Birds
- 1. Use #4 shader to base Antique Rose; use 1/4” angular to shade Deep Burgundy around base of head, tale, and bottom of wing and use Melon to highlight along top of head, wings, and tip of tail. Paint beak Camel. Use stylus to dot eyes Soft Black; add tiny Cool White highlight shine.
- 1. (Note: Follow manufacturer’s directions to mix paints with Paint Adhesion Medium.) Use script liner and Soft Blue to paint snowflakes; dot ends with stylus. Add random Soft Blue dots.
- 1. Spray several light sealer coats over candlesticks and birds. Glue birds to candlesticks.
by Chris Haughey