Around the World with Santa
- DecoArt: Americana Acrylics: Antique Gold, Antique White, Black Green, Black Plum, Buttermilk, Burnt Umber, Espresso, Flesh Tone, Golden Straw, Hauser Dark Green, Hauser Medium Green, Heritage Brick, Honey Brown, Lamp (Ebony) Black, Leaf Green, Light Buttermilk, Midnite Blue, Milk Chocolate, Napa Red, Raw Sienna, Sour Apple, Tuscan Red, Warm White, Wedgewood Blue; Dazzling Metallics: Glorious Gold
- Brushes: Royal & Langnickel: Golden Taklon: Glaze/Wash, Series R700, 3/4”; Angular, Series R160, 3/8”; Filbert, Series R170, #8; Pointed Round, Series R250, #4; Monogram Liner, Series R595, #10/0; Royal Soft-Grip: White Nylon Blending Mop, Series SG1400, 1/2”
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Sealer/Finisher, Matte; DuraClear Varnish: Matte, Gloss; Brush ‘n Blend Extender; Glamour Dust, Crystal
- World globe found at your local flea market
- 1. Clean surface with damp cloth. Undercoat entire globe and base Lamp Black. Pour equal puddles of Midnite Blue, Wedgewood Blue, and Warm White on Styrofoam plate. Dip craft sponge into each paint color and sponge over entire globe only for mottled look. (Note: Some black may be slightly visible.)
- 2. Print out pattern. Use photo as sample guide to transfer basic details; start with Santa and reindeer. Randomly add snowflakes. Then add wording to fill in blank spaces.
- Painting Instructions
- 1. Note: Some globes come apart easily, separating globe from base. You may find it easier to paint and shade with globe sitting in your lap.
- 1. Base face Flesh Tone; shade Heritage Brick. Paint eye Lamp Black and add Warm White highlight dot. Base hair, mustache, and beard Lt. Buttermilk; shade Raw Sienna. Base coat Tuscan Red; shade Burnt Umber. Add Antique White pinstripes. Line cuff edges Burnt Umber and add Lamp Black stitch lines. Base hat cuff Buttermilk; shade Raw Sienna. Base gloves Hauser Med. Green; shade Hauser Dk. Green.
- 2. Base staff pole Espresso; shade Burnt Umber and highlight Honey Brown. Repeat same for light cage. Paint flame and light rays Golden Straw. Base toy bag Leaf Green; shade Hauser Dk. Green. Add Lamp Black stitch lines across top edge. Add swirly Hauser Dk. Green design to bag. Paint string Burnt Umber and dot tips Glorious Gold.
- 1. Base basket Black Green and shade Lamp Black. Paint top railing in alternating stripes of Napa Red and Antique White. Shade red stripes Black Plum and white stripes Raw Sienna. Paint runner Glorious Gold.
- 1. Base body Raw Sienna; shade Burnt Umber and highlight Honey Brown. Base legs and face Milk Chocolate; shade Burnt Umber and highlight Honey Brown. Base tail Honey Brown; shade Milk Chocolate and highlight Golden Straw. Add random Buttermilk dots on body. Base antlers Honey Brown; dot ends Tuscan Red then add Lt. Buttermilk highlight dots. Dot eyes Lamp Black and add Lt. Buttermilk highlight dots.
- 2. Base blanket Antique White; shade Raw Sienna. Paint edging in alternating stripes of Napa Red and Hauser Med. Green. Paint center stars Antique Gold; shade Raw Sienna and highlight Golden Straw. Add Lamp Black stitch lines. Paint reins Tuscan Red and dot jingle bells Glorious Gold.
- Snowflakes and Wording
- 1. Line all snowflakes and letters Warm White. (Note: Add several coats for good coverage.) Dot snowflake ends as needed and randomly dot blank areas as desired.
- 1. For peppermint base and small metal piece at top of globe, mask areas into sections and paint in alternating Warm White and Tuscan Red stripes. Shade white stripes Tuscan Red. Add Warm White highlight line.
- 2. Base “gumdrop” base Sour Apple; shade Hauser Dk. Green. Base meridian Warm White; add alternating diagonal stripes of Warm White and Tuscan Red along outer edge. Shade white edges Tuscan Red. Add Warm White highlight down center of entire meridian.
- 1. Apply several light sealer coats. For gumdrop, mix equal parts matte varnish and medium extender; work quickly and brush onto gumdrop, then while wet, sprinkle with Glamour Dust. Shake off excess glitter. In same manner, apply varnish and extender medium mix to largest snowflake and sprinkle with Glamour Dust. Apply high gloss varnish over base, small metal top, and meridian only.
by Diane Marie Kellogg