- DecoArt Americana Acrylics: Canyon Orange, Lamp (Ebony) Black, Mistletoe, Napa Red, Sapphire, Snow (Titanium) White, True Red
- Brushes: Royal & Langnickel Aqualon: Script Liner, Series R2585, #1; Shader, Series R2150, #4, #6; Glaze Wash, Series R2700, 1”
- DecoArt: Americana Star Lite Varnish; Snow-Tex; Americana Acrylic Multi-Purpose Sealer
- Iridescent glitter
- Craft wire, thin gauge
- Garland items from DC&C*: Pine garland (#77-2719); Paper Mache Ornaments, four each: heart (#28-0042), 2-1/2”; ball (#28-0044), 2-1/2”; ball (#28-0056), 3-1/2”; Red with white snowfl akes wire edged ribbon: (#35-6592), 2-1/2”-w; Holly snowman (#92-7507)
- Wood plaque of choice, 5”x7” from your local craft store
- 1. Apply sealer to bucket of snowman. Use glaze wash brush to base half of all ornaments Snow White and other half, plus plaque, True Red.
- 2. Print out pattern. Transfer (or free-hand) “Let it Snow” lettering on hearts, “Cold Hands! Warm Heart!” on plaque, and snowman faces on two large red balls. Transfer Christmas tree design on two large white balls centering trees on ball. Transfer heart with candy cane design on two small white balls so candy cane is centered on ball. For remaining two small red balls, draw two vertical lines spacing 3/8” apart for a total of six vertical candy cane sections.
- Candy Canes
- 1. On red snowman ornament, use #6 shader and Snow White to base candy cane scarf. Use same brush mix of Sapphire + Snow White (1:1) to shade along each edge of each candy cane. Use #4 shader to base large stripes True Red; shade ends Napa Red. Use script liner to paint Mistletoe Green pinstripes between. Add thinned Snow White highlight line through center of each candy cane. For white ornaments, use script liner to outline edges of candy canes.
- Small and Large White Ball Ornaments
- 1. Use #4 shader and True Red to basecoat hearts on small white ornaments and Christmas trees on large white ornaments; shade Napa Red along outer edges. Use script liner to line heart stems True Red.
- Heart Ornaments and Plaque
- 1. Use opposite color (True Red on white and Snow White on red) to paint lettering and snowflakes; dot snowflake ends with stylus.
- Snowman Ornament
- 1. Use #6 shader to base hat Lamp Black; use mix of Snow White + tch. of Sapphire to float highlight along brim. Use same mix and #6 shader to base face. Use Sapphire and same brush to float shadow inside mouth and along bottom of head. (Note: Stipple shadow from bottom of head up fading to nothing.) Paint nose Canyon Orange.
- 1. Working one ornament at a time, apply one coat Star Lite; while wet, sprinkle with glitter. Let dry; over paper plate, rub off excess glitter.
- 2. Use palette knife to apply Snow-Tex on top of each ornament; sprinkle with glitter. Use craft wire to attach pieces: start with snowman, then plaque, then ribbon, and finally with decorative ornaments.
by Chris Thornton-Deason