Weathered Wood Frame
- Walnut Hollow Basswood Silhouette Square (39744), 9”x12”
- Basswood strips, 1/2”x1/16”x24”, five
- Elmer’s Foam Board
- Walnut Hollow Creative Metal Aluminum Metal Roll
- Flat-backed metal rings, three
- Silver metal brads, 15
- Royal & Langnickel E-Z Father Sentiments Rub-On Transfers (RUB-ROY521)
- Photo of choice
heavy hardbound book, sandpaper, paintbrush, old pair of scissors, wax candle, craft knife, self-healing cutting mat, newspaper (to cover work surface), ruler
- Hand drill
- Sizzix Big Shot Die-Cutting Machine and Bigz Serif Essentials Die
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Snow White, Lamp Black
- Adhesives: Beacon Adhesives Premium Tacky Glue, clear tape, foam tape
- 1. Sand frame. Use old pair of scissors to cut basswood strips to eleven 7-1/2”, five 3”, and five 1-1/2” lengths. Sand ends of each length.
- 2. On covered work surface, paint strips Lamp Black. Let dry; lightly rub surface with wax candle. Paint strips and frame Snow White. (Note: Leave one 7-1/2” strip Lamp Black.) Let strips dry to touch and sand lightly to reveal distressed finish.
- 3. Use tacky glue to adhere strips to plaque using photo as guide. Drybrush top of frame Lamp Black. Let dry.
- 4. Use ruler and craft knife to cut three 4”x3” rectangles from foam board and from aluminum sheet. Use foam tape to adhere aluminum rectangles on foam board rectangles. Use die-cut machine and Serif Essentials dies to cut out “DAD” from rectangles. Adhere letters onto top of frame using tacky glue.
- 5. Apply rub-on sentiments on frame following manufacturer’s instructions. Adhere metal rings along black strip on board.
- 6. Use hand drill to drill holes randomly in basswood strips on plaque. Spot glue ends of brads; insert brads into holes.
- 7. Tape photo of choice behind frame opening.
- 1. Substitute aluminum metal sheet with silver paint.
by Melony Miller Bradley