Carnelian Tassel Necklace
size: 20” with 4” tassel
- Jasper rounds: poppy, 4mm, 32; yellow, 6mm, 32
- Rondelles: poppy jasper, 9x4mm, 16; carnelian faceted, 18x10mm
- Antique copper rounds, 3mm, six
- Antique copper beaded spacers: 4mm, 32; 5mm, two; 7mm, 16
- Antique copper findings: crimp tubes, two; 6-pronged bead caps, two; beaded bail; wrapped toggle clasp
- Copper wire: 20-gauge, 7” length; beading wire, 26” length
- Fine antique copper chain, two types, 10” lengths
- Crimping tool, wire cutters, round-nose pliers, chain-nose pliers
- 1. Cut chain into 2-1/2” lengths.
- 2. Flatten 6-pronged bead caps by pressing cap on work surface. Bend prongs around bead with chain-nose pliers to fit carnelian rondelle.
- 3. For tassel, make half wrapped loop with 20-gauge copper wire. Slide on chain pieces alternating two types. Finish wrapped loop. Slide on 3mm copper round, 7mm spacer, bead cap, carnelian rondelle, bead cap, 7mm spacer, and copper round. Make half wrapped loop. Slide bail onto loop and finish wraps.
- 4. String crimp tube and half of clasp onto beading wire. Pass wire back through crimp tube and crimp. Trim wire. String copper round and 5mm spacer.
- 5. String poppy jasper round, yellow jasper round, 4mm spacer, poppy jasper rondelle, 4mm spacer, yellow jasper, poppy jasper round, and 7mm spacer. Repeat pattern six more times. String poppy jasper round, yellow jasper round, 4mm spacer, poppy jasper rondelle, 4mm spacer, yellow jasper round, poppy jasper round, and copper round. String on bail. Repeat Steps 5 and 4 in reverse for other side of necklace.
- 1. If you can’t find a gemstone rondelle for the tassel, crystal rondelles from Swarovski also come in this size.
by Terry Ricioli