- DecoArt Americana Acrylics: Antique White, Camel, Celery Green, Crimson Tide, Light Buttermilk, Light Mocha, Midnite Green, Raw Umber, Razzle Berry, Snow (Titanium) White
- Brushes: FM Dynasty: Black Gold, Series 206: Shader, #9, #14; Chisel Blender, #6; Dagger, 1/4”; Round, #1; Fan, #4; Oval Wash, 1/2”; Decorator Collection: Mini Mop, Series 400, 3/8”, 1/2”; Round Dry Brush, Series 100, #8; Micron X-Long Detailer, #15/0
- DecoArt: Americana Acrylic Multi-Purpose Sealer; DuraClear Varnish, Satin; Glamour Dust, Crystal; Laurie Speltz’s Instant Images Pocket Templates (llP01) Floral Pocket
- Pink satin ribbon, 1/4”-wide, 24” length
- Hearts Border Tags (#RR9357), 4-1/2”x2-3/4” from Stockade
- Rebecca Baer: Simply Elegant Stencils (ST-107), Classic Curves Stencil; Stencil Gel
- Artist’s Tips
- 1. Use chisel blender for all dry brushing. Use shaders to do most floating. Use mop brush to soften floats, gently pouncing over water’s edge. For line work, fully load liner with thinned paint then blot tip on paper towel to “sharpen” pointed end.
- 1. Sand, seal, and sand surface again. Wipe dust. Use wedge sponge to base tags with one to two coats Lt. Mocha; use little pressure near laser cut details to avoid drips.
- 2. Use floral pocket template and Lt. Buttermilk to stencil small scrolled floral design along left side of each tag. Float washy Raw Umber tinges here and there; mop over water’s edges. (Note: Immediately wipe mop brushes on paper towel.) Spatter Raw Umber.
- 3. Print out patterns; transfer basic details onto tags. Float Raw Umber behind flowers; darken corners and crevasses with second and third coat.
- Painting Instructions
- 1. Refer to painting chart. (see photos)
- White Poinsettia
- 1. (Note: Background basecoat is basecoat of flower.) Touch up flower petals with Lt. Mocha. Dry brush main highlights Snow White. Use Antique White to shade and divide petals. Use Antique White to very lightly shade down center of petals; brighten with narrower Snow White highlight float. Add Snow White veins. Float soft Crimson Tide tints here and there on petals.
- 2. Base flower centers Celery Green; dot tops Camel then add smaller dots of Crimson Tide. Use liner to outline or darken stems Midnite Green.
- Pink Poinsettia
- 1. Use dagger brush to wash petals Razzle Berry. Dry brush Snow White highlights; brighten with soft Snow White highlights as well. Use Razzle Berry to shade and divide petals with several layers, darkening corners and petal centers most. Add Razzle Berry veins.
- 2. Work flower center in same manner as White Poinsettia.
- Red Poinsettia
- 1. Use dagger brush to wash petals Crimson Tide. (Note: A second coat may be applied if too light.) Dry brush Snow White highlights; brighten with soft Snow White highlights as well.
- 2. Use Crimson Tide to shade and divide petals with several layers mostly darkening corners and petal centers. Add Crimson Tide veins.
- 3. Work flower center in same manner as White Poinsettia.
- 1. Apply two to three varnish coats. Allow to set half hour. Use Classic Curves stencil to place small detail design at top of tag; use palette knife to spread stencil gel over stencil. Remove stencil. While wet, sprinkle with Glamour Dust. Let cure approximately two hours; shake off excess dust.
- 2. Cut a 10” length from ribbon for hanger; thread through tag hole and knot ends together 1” from top. Use remaining length to tie a bow around bottom of hanger.
by Sue Beckerton