If the Shoes Fits...
- DecoArt Americana Acrylics: Antique White, Black Plum, Bright Orange, Burnt Orange, Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber, Dioxazine Purple, Fawn, Graphite, Hauser Dark Green, Hauser Light Green, Heritage Brick, Honey Brown, Lamp (Ebony) Black, Lavender, Light Mocha, Marigold, Mississippi Mud, Primary Yellow, Soft Black
- Brushes: Papillon (The Artist’s Club): Angular Shader, 5/8”, 3/4”; Glaze Wash, 3/4”, 1”; Shader, #2, #4; Script Liner, #6/0; Mid Liner Set; Highlighter Set; Finish Brush Set
- Brushes: Loew-Cornell Specialty: Maxine’s Oval Mop Goat Hair, Series 270, 1/2”, 3/8”, 3/4”
- DecoArt: Americana Acrylic Multi-Purpose Sealer; DuraClear Varnish, Matte; Easy Float
- Button, 1/2”
- Noodle Board (#20-10852) from Viking Woodcrafts
- Super Film ultra fine grain sanding film
- 1. Sand and seal entire surface; let dry and sand again. Wipe with damp cloth.
- 2. Print out pattern; transfer inner circle outline. Base inner circle Fawn and outer circle Lavender. Transfer basic details. Base as follows: face and arms, Antique White; pumpkin, Burnt Orange; hat & shoes, Graphite; hatband, every other stripe on socks, and button, Hauser Lt. Green; bow, Honey Brown; patch and every other stripe on socks, Lavender; star and hair undercoat, Marigold; hair Bright Orange.
- Face and Arms
- 1. Use Mississippi Mud to shade face under hat, along both sides of face, and along both sides of arms. Use Burnt Umber to deepen shading under hat and at top of arms. Use Lt. Mocha to highlight center of face and arms. Blush cheeks Burnt Orange. Base sections of candy corn nose Lt. Mocha, Burnt Orange, and Marigold. Paint mouth Burnt Orange. Use Heritage Brick to shade along left side of nose (through all colors) and both ends of mouth. Add Lt. Mocha highlight line down right side of nose and center of mouth. Use Lamp Black to paint eyes, lashes, stitches on nose and mouth. Add tiny Lt. Mocha highlight dots in upper right of eyes and top of cheeks.
- 1. Shade Burnt Orange to separate pieces; use Heritage Brick to deepen undermost hair pieces. Highlight ends Primary Yellow; repeat as needed.
- 1. Use Lamp Black to shade hat along both sides, under brim, above and below hatband, and in creases. Dry brush Lt. Mocha highlights in center of hat, center of brim, and slightly under brim.
- Hatband and Star
- 1. Shade Hauser Dk. Green along both sides of hatband and around star; dry brush Primary Yellow highlight in center of hatband and star. Shade edges of star Burnt Sienna.
- 1. For plaid, paint wide lines of Lavender with Hauser Lt. Green and Bright Orange lines. Use Burnt Sienna to shade inside loops, on loops against knot, loop creases, along bottom of knot and in knot creases, and along both sides of bow tails. Use Soft Black to deepen shading in loops, on loops against knot, and along top of tails under bow. Dry brush Marigold highlights in center of loops, knot, and bow tails; brighten highlights with Primary Yellow dry brush highlights.
- Pumpkin and Patch
- 1. Use Heritage Brick to shade under bow and around tails, down both sides of pumpkin, along both sides of sections, and around patch. Use Black Plum to deepen shading under bow, on outside of sections, and across bottom of pumpkin. Dry brush Bright Orange highlights in center area of sections; brighten with Primary Yellow.
- 2. Shade Dioxazine Purple along patch edges; dry brush Lt. Mocha highlight in center. Add large Marigold dots; surround with small Hauser Lt. Green dots. Use Lamp Black to add random tiny dots and to paint stitch lines.
- Socks and Shoes
- 1. For socks, shade Dioxazine Purple along both sides of purple stripes; dry brush Lt. Mocha highlight in centers. Shade Hauser Dk. Green along both sides of green stripes; dry brush Primary Yellow highlight in centers. Add Lt. Mocha highlight line down center of socks. For shoes, shade Lamp Black around edges; dry brush Lt. Mocha highlight in center.
- 1. Shade Dioxazine Purple around inside edge of outer circle and behind design on outer circle. Shade Burnt Umber behind design in inner circle; repeat shading to deepen any corners and under pumpkin. Use Hauser Lt. Green to paint wavy line between inner and outer circles.
- 2. Use Lamp Black to outline entire design and wavy green line; paint string at end of hat tip, shoe ties, and wording. Add dashes of Lt. Mocha on string at end of hat tip, shoe ties, and center of lettering.
- 3. Apply several varnish coats, sanding lightly between dried coats. Glue button on patch.
by MaryJo Tuttle