- DecoArt Americana Acrylics: Bright Orange, Cadmium Orange, Calypso Blue, Citron Green, Festive Green, Lamp (Ebony) Black, Lavender, Pansy Lavender, Purple Cow, Warm White
- Brushes: Royal & Langnickel: Majestic: Angular, Series R4160, 1/8”, 1/4”; Short Liner, Series R4595, #0; Aqualon: Shader, Series R2150, #2, #4, #6, #10; Glaze Wash, Series R2700, 1”
- DecoArt DuraClear Varnish, Matte
- Battery operated votive lights, three
- Nesting Paper Mache Houses with Windows (set of three), 6”, 8-1/2”, 12” from Rusty Tin
- 1. Base smallest and largest house Purple Cow and middle size house Citron Green; avoid painting fitted edge on house tops. Base all three roofs and bases Lamp Black. Use clean cloth or white sock to wipe Festive Green on green house for mottled look; repeat on house edges to define shape. In same manner, use Lavender to mottle purple houses. Use #6 shader to stripe Festive Green on base of smallest house. For eerie effect when lit (use only battery operated lights) base inside of houses Lamp Black.
- 2. Print out patterns; transfer basic details onto front and sides of appropriate houses.
- Small House
- 1. Paint all design items Lamp Black.
- Middle House
- 1. Base pumpkins Bright Orange; shade edges and sections Cadmium Orange. Paint stems and leaves Festive Green.
- 2. Use Lamp Black to loosely outline and add detailing.
- 3. Base potion bottles (avoiding labels) Pansy Lavender. Wash smaller bottle’s label Calypso Blue and larger bottle’s label Festive Green. Paint spooky eyes on roof Festive Green; dot pupils Lamp Black.
- 4. Use Lamp Black to add remaining detailing and to outline. Shade Festive Green along inner edges of sign and along bottom of each window.
- Large House
- 1. Wash ghost Warm White; use angle brush to shade Warm White along edges. Paint eyes and mouth Lamp Black; dot Warm White pupils.
- 2. Base cat Lamp Black. Paint eyes and inner ears Citron Green; shade Festive Green. Paint pupils Lamp Black.
- 3. Base potion bottles (avoiding labels) Citron Green. Wash smaller bottle’s label Calypso Blue and smaller bottle’s label Pansy Lavender. Use large end of stylus to dip-dot Festive Green “bubbles”.
- 4. Paint pumpkin stems and leaves Citron Green; shade Festive Green. Base pumpkins Bright Orange; use Cadmium Orange to shade edges and sections. Loosely outline each Lamp Black.
- 5. Add Cadmium Orange curled detailing on each side of pumpkin at doorway. Use Lamp Black to add remaining detailing and to outline.
- 1. Apply two varnish coats avoiding fitted edge of house tops; allow house and roofs to dry separately.
by Monika Brint