Valentine Monkey Pillow
- Pillow form, 12”x16”
- Wool felt: red, 3/8 yd.; pink, scrap
- Cotton fabric scraps: natural muslin; natural linen; burgundy; red check; yellow/tan
- Dark brown piping, 1-3/4 yds.
- Red/white dot sheer ribbon, 1-1/2”, 1 yd.
- White flat two-hole buttons, 5/8”, two
- Black perle cotton, #12
- Embroidery floss: dark brown; light pink
- Lite Steam-A-Seam for appliqué (The Warm Co.)
- Sewing machine and matching thread
- Embroidery needle
- 1. Use one strand of perle cotton or three strands of floss for all embroidery.
- 1. Cut two 12-1/2”x16-1/2” rectangles from red felt.
- 2. Print and cut out patterns. Adhere Lite Steam-A-Seam to backs of pink felt, linen, muslin, burgundy and red check fabrics, and cut out the following shapes: mouth from pink felt; head area behind button eyes from linen; muzzle and ears from muslin; hat from burgundy; heart from red check (cut top and bottom of head shape, and inside edges of ears along dashed lines). Adhere shapes to center of one red felt rectangle, following pattern.
- 3. Use pink floss to blanket stitch around mouth, brown floss to blanket stitch around outside edges of fabric appliqué pieces, and perle cotton to stem stitch on mouth and nostrils
- 4. For hat fringe, cut two 2”x9” strips from yellow/tan fabric. Stack fabric strips together and fold in half lengthwise. Sew 1/4” from folded edge. Make cuts into strips about 1/4” apart for fringe. Wet fringe strips, wring out excess water and dry in dryer. (Note: Fringe will fray and crinkle in dryer.) From fringe, cut 1” (top of hat) and 6” (brim) lengths. Hand sew folded edges of fringe to top and bottom of hat.
- 5. Use perle cotton to sew button eyes to face.
- 6. Sew piping seam 1/4” from edge of pillow front, beginning and ending in a bottom corner), clipping piping seam as you work around. Sew pillow back to front, with right sides together, along piping stitching leaving 10” opening at bottom. Trim corners. Turn pillow right side out through opening. Insert pillow form. Hand sew opening closed.
- 7. Tie ribbon bow and trim ends. Sew center of bow to center bottom of monkey.
by Mary Ayres