- Delta Ceramcoat Acrylics: Antique White, Black, Black Green, Burgundy Rose, Forest Green, Hippo Grey, Light Ivory, Pine Green, Red Iron Oxide, Sandstone, Santa’s Flesh, Spice Brown, Stonewedge Green, Straw, Terra Cotta, White
- Brushes: Daler-Rowney Robert Simmons: Tolemaster: Angel Shaders, Series T57, 1/4”, 3/8”; Liner, Series T51, #10/0; Expression: Pointed Round, Series E85, #2, #4
- Delta Gesso
- Plaid Aerosol Acrylic Sealer, Matte
- Coordinating tassels
- Black craft wire
- Wooden ornaments cut from 1/4” Baltic birch plywood
- Small stencil brush
- Wire snips
- Needle Nose pliers
- 10” band saw with 56-7/8” general smooth blade
- Drill and 1/16” drill bit
- Artists Tips
- 1. Use pointed round brushes for basecoating, angel shaders for shading and highlighting, and liner for all line work.
- 1. Print out pattern. Transfer outlines onto Baltic birch and cut with band saw. Drill holes at top and bottom of ornaments where indicated on pattern by “o”. Lightly sand edges. Apply light Gesso coat; let dry and sand for smooth surface. Base backs of ornaments Black.
- Snowman Ornament
- 1. (Note: Base top and sides of ornament in same colors.) Base very top section and very bottom section of ornament Forest Green; shade each Black Green. Base oval area Black; spatter Lt. Ivory. Base section below oval Forest Green; shade Black Green along top of section and add Sandstone snowflakes. Base next section Sandstone; use Pine Green to shade along top of section and to add line work.
- 2. Base face Lt. Ivory and shade Hippo Grey. Base nose Terra Cotta; highlight Straw and shade Red Iron Oxide. Add fi ne Red Iron Oxide carrot lines. Dry brush cheeks Red Iron Oxide. Use Black to add eyebrows, eyes, and mouth.
- 3. Base earmuffs Stonewedge Green; shade Pine Green and add fine detailing lines. Line earmuff wire Sandstone. Base scarf Sandstone; shade Pine Green and add line work.
- Santa Ornament
- 1. (Note: Base top and sides of ornament in same colors.) Base very top section and very bottom section of ornament Burgundy Rose; shade each Black. Base oval area Black; spatter Lt. Ivory. Base section below oval Burgundy Rose; shade Black along top of section and add Sandstone dots. Base next section Sandstone; use Burgundy Rose to shade along top of section and to add line work.
- 2. Base face and nose Santa’s Flesh; shade Red Iron Oxide. Highlight White along top of nose. Dry brush cheeks Red Iron Oxide. Use Black to add eyebrows and eyes.
- 3. Base hat Burgundy Rose; add Sandstone line work and shade Black. For hat cuff, double-load #2 round with Spice Brown and Lt. Ivory and lightly tap to appear like fur. Shade Spice Brown.
- 4. Base beard Antique White and shade Spice Brown. Use liner and White to add fine brush strokes creating layers of hair. Repeat same for mustache.
- 1. Apply sealer over ornaments. For hanger, cut 12” length from wire. Curl one end tightly with needle nose pliers; thread wire from front to back and loosely coil other end. Thread tassel from back to front of ornament, then feed tassel end through loop and pull tightly.
by Lisa Kennedy