Houndstooth Holiday Bear
- Black-and-white wool blend Houndstooth fabric, 1/2 yd.
- Rainbow Classic Felt (The Kunin Group): Red, two squares; White, 3”x6”
- Poly-fil Brand (Fairfield Processing)
- Black pearl cotton
- Black beads, 10mm, two
- Doll joins, 1-1/4”, two
- Red sport yarn, 1 to 2 oz
- Knitting needles, size U.S. 2 (2-3/4mm)
- Small crochet hook
- Sewing needle
- Straight pins
- Sewing machine and matching threads
- Iron and pressing board
- 1. All seams are 1/4” and are stitched with right sides facing, unless otherwise indicated.
- Holiday Bear
- 1. Print and cut out pattern. Cut bear pieces as directed on patterns and use fabric marker to transfer all markings.
- 2. Pin and stitch two ear pieces together (one felt and one Houndstooth), leaving the lower edge open to turn. Trim and clip seam allowance. Turn right side out. Turn lower edges in 1/4" and hand stitch closed.
- 3. Pin and stitch the darts of each Side Head section.
- 4. Pin the Side Head sections together and stitch along the center front (neck/chin) seam. Trim and clip seam allowance.
- 5. Pin and stitch the Center Head section to the Side Head sections. Trim and clip seam allowance. Turn right side out.
- 6. Pin and stitch one Body Front to one Body Back at the side seam. Repeat for remaining body sections. Pin and stitch body sections together along the center back and front seams, leaving an opening as marked. Trim and clip seam allowance.
- 7. Pin and stitch the Head to the Body along the neck edge. Turn right side out.
- 8. Pin and stitch two Arm sections together, leaving an opening as marked. Trim and clip seam allowance. Turn right side out. Repeat for remaining arm.
- 9. Pin and stitch two Leg sections together, leaving an opening as marked. Trim and clip seam allowances. Turn right side out. Repeat for remaining leg.
- 10. Following manufacturer’s instructions, attach arms and legs to body with doll joins, as marked.
- 11. Stuff bear to desired firmness.
- 12. Stitch openings at body back, arms and legs closed.
- 13. Place ears as desired and stitch in place.
- 14. Place beads as desired and stitch in place for eyes.
- 15. Use two strands of pearl cotton to satin stitch nose. Add straight stitches to create mouth. See diagram for suggested expression.
- 16. For boots, pin two boot sections together and stitch front and back seams, leaving top and bottom edges free. Trim seams. Pin and stitch a sole to bottom edge of boot, matching center front to toe and center back to heel. Trim seam and turn right side out. Repeat for remaining boot. Place boots on bear.
- 17. For scarf (approximate size is 1-1/2”x20, plus fringe), cast on 8 stitches. Row 1 * knit 1, pearl 1, repeat from * to ends. Repeat Row 1 until the piece measures approximately 20” long. Bind off. Cut twenty 6” lengths of yarn. Fold two lengths of yarn in half and use crochet hook to pull them through from the front to the back at one side of one end. Weave ends through the loop and tug gently to create the first fringe. Repeat to add four more sets, evenly spaced along the end. Repeat to create fringe on opposite end. Trim fringe to desired length.
by Barbara Swanson