Library Book Box
- DecoArt Americana Acrylics: Antique Gold, Bleached Sand, Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber, Golden Straw, Hauser Dark Green, Hauser Medium Green, Indian Turquoise, Lamp (Ebony) Black, Napa Red, Olive Green, Payne’s Grey, Raw Sienna, Royal Purple, Santa Red, Sea Aqua, Snow (Titanium) White, Victorian Blue, Yellow Light
- Brushes: Royal & Langnickel Majestic: Glaze/Wash, Series R4700, 3/4”; Short Liner, Series R4595, #20/0, #1; Shader, Series R4150, #4, #8, #10, 1/2”
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Sealer/Finisher, Matte
- File Box with Removable Insert (#128) from Halls Woodcrafts
- Scotch Magic Tape
- Sponge roller, 3”
- 1. Sand and seal box inside and out. Lightly resand, if needed. Base back of box and back panel Santa Red. Use Victorian Blue to base inside and outside of sides, floor, and back of front panel. Base front of front panel Antique Gold. Basecoat top of base Victorian Blue and bottom edges Santa Red.
- 2. For “Library Books” rectangle, measure 4” from center top edge of back panel; tape off horizontally across panel. Measure 1/2” from each side and tape off. Then measure 1-1/2” from center top edge of back panel and tape off horizontally. Rectangle should measure approximately 2-1/4”x11-1/2”. Base rectangle Antique Gold.
- 3. Print out pattern; transfer basic outlines onto front panel. Use Raw Sienna to float behind major design elements; paint space between two books on left.
- 4. Working from left to right, base vertical books as follows: Santa Red, Sea Aqua, Royal Purple. For horizontal books, base top book Indian Turquoise and bottom book Burnt Sienna; base pages Bleached Sand. Base book worm Olive Green. Base apple Golden Straw, leaf Hauser Med. Green, and stem Burnt Sienna.
- 1. Use Victorian Blue and #10 shader to paint wide stripes on red book; use #1 liner for thin stripes. Use #1 liner and Royal Purple to add horizontal lines on turquoise book; add Yellow Light dots. Use Olive Green and #4 shader to paint wide stripes on purple book; use #1 liner to add wavy lines. Use #10 shader and Royal Purple to add wide stripes on horizontal turquoise book. Use Sea Aqua and 1/2” shader to paint wide stripes on horizontal brown book and #1 liner to add stitch lines.
- 2. Use Payne’s Grey to float a wide shade along each side of each book’s spine. (Note: Shading may need to be repeated several times for desired look, making each shading smaller as you go.) In same manner, shade Payne’s Grey along top edge of spine on horizontal books and on pages along spine; use chisel edge to drag out fine lines representing page lines. Shade Payne’s Grey along bottom edge of pages.
- 1. Float Santa Red along each side and bottom of apple; add very skinny float along back top edge and float across top of apple just below stem. Repeat as needed to achieve desired shading. Float Napa Red down each side and across bottom. Float Snow White highlight shine.
- 2. Add a skinny Burnt Umber float along left side of stem and under “cut” edge of stem. Float Antique Gold along right side and next to Burnt Umber float at top of stem.
- 1. Float Hauser Dk. Green along base of leaf; use liner to add vein lines.
- Book Worm
- 1. Refer to painting chart. Use 1/2” shader to float Hauser Med. Green along left side; float under all folds and creases. Float Yellow Light along right side; highlight along top of curves. (see photos)
- 2. Use #20/0 liner and Lamp Black to paint facial features. Dry brush Santa Red cheeks. Paint glasses Lamp Black. Add Snow White highlight dots to eyes at two o’clock and seven o’clock.
- 1. Shade Napa Red on back panel along edges of wording rectangle. Paint wording Lamp Black. Use #1 liner and Royal Purple to add wavy line around rectangle.
- 2. Apply several sealer coats or varnish of choice.
- 1. For a personalized book box, omit “Library Books” wording and replace with child’s name or initials.
by Margaret Wilson