Shhh - Birdie Still Sleeping!
- DecoArt Americana Acrylics: Avocado, Black Plum, Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber, Buttermilk, Camel, Celery Green, Deep Burgundy, Deep Midnight Blue, Lamp (Ebony) Black, Light French Blue, Light Mocha, Milk Chocolate, Raw Sienna, Raw Umber, Warm Neutral, Yellow Ochre
- Brushes: Loew-Cornell La Corneille Golden Taklon—Acrylic Handle: Shader, Series 7300C, #14; Angular Shader, Series 7400C, 1/8”, 1/4”, 1/2”, 5/8”, 3/4”; Round, Series 7000C, #6; Liner, Series 7350C, #18/0; Jackie Shaw Liner, Series JS, #1
- DecoArt Americana Control Medium
- Roc-Ion Drapery Liner available at JoAnn Fabrics
- Believe Primitive Star Stencil from Renee Mullins
- Scotch Magic Tape
- Artist’s Tips
- 1. Brush mix a small amount of Control Medium with paint colors and apply with light touch to minimize bleed through. Let dry between steps. It is important to sand lightly between coats when painting on this material. Apply Magic Tape to straight edges; rub down edges to avoid bleeding and paint away from taped edges.
- 2. Optional: Use roller brush and coordinating paint color of choice to basecoat fabric if desired. If desired, use purchased custom fi tted plain bird cage cover to paint design onto.
- Painting Instructions
- 1. Cut a 48”-wide circle from fabric. Print out pattern; transfer basic details rougher side of fabric at one side.
- 1. Base Lt. French Blue; shade Deep Midnight Blue along outer edges of main design, around limb, and around birdhouse.
- 1. Base house with mix of Deep Burgundy and Warm Neutral (3:1); shade Deep Burgundy, then deepen with Black Plum. Paint opening Lamp Black. Base feet Yellow Ochre and shade Milk Chocolate. Base roof and sign Lt. Mocha; wash with thin coat Milk Chocolate. Add thinned Burnt Umber grain lines to roof and sign. Use Burnt Sienna to deepen shading in corners of sign and roof; deepen shading slightly more on roof corners with Milk Chocolate.
- 2. Paint straw in three layers allowing each previous layer to show through: fi rst layer is Burnt Umber, second layer is Milk Chocolate, and third layer is Camel. Use Lamp Black to paint perch, nails, wire, and lettering.
- 1. Base Raw Sienna and shade Burnt Umber. Base worm Celery Green and shade Avocado. Use Lamp Black to paint eyes and mouth. Base pillow Buttermilk and shade Milk Chocolate.
- 1. Base green checks Celery Green and shade sides Avocado. Base yellow checks Yellow Ochre and shade sides Milk Chocolate. Paint “X’s” Buttermilk.
- 1. Freehand vines along top of arch; paint one Raw Sienna and the other Raw Umber. Stroke leaves Celery Green and shade Avocado. Paint vines along bottom edge of cover in same manner as arch omitting leaves. Randomly stencil Yellow Ochre stars in sky area of design and on vines along cover edges; shade Raw Sienna. Use handle end of brush to dot berries on vines along cover edges with birdhouse mix.
by Micky Elkin