- DecoArt SoSoft: Fabric Acrylics: Baby Blue Deep, Baby Pink Deep, Christmas Green, Fuchsia, Hauser Light Green, Lavender, Primary Yellow, White; Metallics: Plum; Neon: Blue; Shimmering Pearls: Charcoal, Christmas Red
- Brushes: Royal & Langnickel Golden Taklon: Shader, Series R150, #4, #8, #12; Script Liner, Series R585, #20/0, Monogram Liner, Series R595, #1
- Butterick See & Sew Apron (pattern #B5125)
- Blue rick-rack
- Fabrics: A Bit of Whimsy by Melissa Saylor (bug print); Shiki from Four Seasons (pale green polka-dot print)
- Optional: Adult Ribbon Apron from Bag Works (www.bagworks.com)
- Sewing machine and matching thread
- Straight pins
- 1. Wash all fabrics and dry; do not use fabric softener or dryer sheets. Press with iron. (Note: For yoke, use facing pattern piece and lengthen 1-1/2”.)
- 2. Cut yoke and pocket from polka-dot fabric.
- 3. Print out patterns; transfer basic details onto yoke and pocket.
- 4. Do not add water to fabric paints. Use paint’s full strength.
- Color Mix
- 1. Mix A = Hauser Lt. Green + White (1:1)
- Painting Instructions
- 1. Refer to painting chart. (see photos)
- Purple/Pink Bug
- 1. Use #8 shader to base top wings Lavender, let dry, then add Metallic Plum detailing dots. Use #4 shader to base lower wings Fuchsia, let dry, then add Mix A detail strokes; add Christmas Green detailing dots. For body, use #1 liner to base with Mix A.
- All Heads and Antennae
- 1. Use script liner and Shimmering Pearls Charcoal to paint heads and antennae.
- Blue/Green Bug
- 1. Use #8 shader to base top wings Baby Blue Deep. Use Neon Blue and #12 shader to shade wings alongside body; use monogram liner to outline wings. Dot wings Charcoal. Use #4 shader to base lower wings Christmas Green, let dry and add Christmas Red spots. For body, use #1 liner to base Baby Blue Deep.
- Pink/Yellow Bug
- 1. Use #4 shader to base top wings Baby Pink Deep; let dry and dot Christmas Red. Use monogram liner to base lower wings Primary Yellow; add Christmas Red spots and outline. For body, use #1 liner to base Baby Blue Deep.
- Green Striped Wing Bug
- 1. Use #8 shader to base top wings with mix of Hauser Lt. Green + White (2:1). Use monogram liner to add Christmas Green detailing lines. Use monogram liner to base lower wings Primary Yellow, let dry, then add Christmas Red spots. For body, use #1 liner to base Baby Blue Deep.
- Blue Dragonfly
- 1. Use #4 shader to base wings Baby Blue Deep; use monogram liner to add Neon Blue shading lines and to outline. Use monogram liner to base body with Mix A.
- 1. Use #4 shader to base body Primary Yellow; use script liner to add Charcoal stripes. Paint wings Baby Blue Deep; use monogram liner to add Neon Blue shading lines and to outline.
- 1. Use #4 shader to base body Shimmering Pearls Christmas Red; add Charcoal detailing. Use monogram liner to stroke wings Baby Blue Deep; outline with thin line of Neon Blue.
- 1. Use warm dry iron to press backside of fabric to heat set paints. Follow pattern instructions to assemble apron.
- 1. Use matching paint colors to paint these bugs on terra cotta pots to be used as votive candles to decorate your outdoor table setting or on placemats, napkins, and napkin rings for a whole buggy outdoor theme.
by Lynne Deptula