Four Seasons Tree: Autumn
- Duro-Art Stretched Canvas, 12”x20”
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Avocado, Baby Blue, Burnt Orange, Butter, Crimson Tide, Espresso, Foliage Green, Hauser Dark Green, Hauser Medium Green, Honey Brown, Lamp Black, Marigold, Pumpkin, Soft Blue, Tangerine, Victorian Blue, Warm White, Winter Blue
tracing paper, pencil, palette, water basin, paper towels, gray graphite paper, stylus, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- Loew-Cornell La Corneille Paintbrushes: Series 7300 Flat Shader #6, #12; Series 7550 Glaze 1”; Series 7200 Fan #2; Series 7350 Liner 10/0; Series 7000 Round #4
- 1. Print out pattern. Transfer pattern on canvas using graphite paper and stylus. Use brush to accommodate size of area to paint. To brush mixture, dip brush into paint color and apply on canvas; immediately pick up another color to blend into wet paint on canvas.
- 2. Paint sky with brush mixture of Warm White, Soft Blue, and Baby Blue painting in horizontal direction.
- 3. Use glaze brush to add Warm White clouds by pouncing brush up and down on surface to achieve fluffy clouds. While paint is wet, blend out bottom of clouds to soften into sky.
- 4. Paint lake Victorian Blue, Winter Blue, and Warm White.
- 5. Paint grass with brush mixture of Hauser Medium Green, Hauser Dark Green, Espresso, and Foliage Green with lighter greens in background area. Blend so colors don’t have patchy appearance. Add darker colors in foreground around corn shock.
- 6. Paint background trees by using blends of Tangerine, Marigold, Honey Brown, Avocado, and Crimson Tide. Paint tree branches blend of Honey Brown (highlight), Burnt Umber, and Traditional Raw Umber.
- 7. Using fan brush, tap in leaves in blend of Tangerine, Marigold, and Crimson Tide with slight touch of Honey Brown.
- 8. Basecoat corn shock Marigold; streak in Honey Brown and Burnt Umber. Highlight corn shock Warm White. Shade behind pumpkin. Use liner brush to paint Burnt Umber string around shock.
- 9. Paint each pumpkin Pumpkin; shade Burnt Orange and highlight Butter.
- 10. Paint pumpkin stems Foliage Green; shade Hauser Medium Green and highlight Butter.
- 11. Add Lamp Black “V” of flying geese in sky.
- 12. Use rake to add Hauser Medium Green grass around corn shock and pumpkins. Let dry.
- 1. When using rake brush, pull brush upward to achieve “streaky” look.
by Margaret Riley