Dogwood Towel Hanger
- DecoArt: Americana Acrylics: Black Plum, Buttermilk, Marigold, Midnite Green, Mink Tan, Pink Chiffon, Raw Umber, Razzle Berry, Reindeer Moss Green, Soft Black, Warm White; Dazzling Metallics: Glorious Gold
- Brushes: FM Dynasty: Black Gold, Series 206: Shader, #4, #10, #14; Flat Wash, 3/4”; Chisel Blender, #8; Script Liner, #20/0, #10/0, #1; Filbert, #12; Decorator Collection: Mini Mop, Series 400, 1/4”, 1/2”
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Multi-Purpose Sealer; Americana Acrylic Sealer/Finisher, Matte
- Wood Hanger
- Painter’s tape, 1/4”
- Artist’s Tips
- 1. All dry brushing is done using chisel blender. Use #10, #14 shader or flat wash to do most floating. Use mop brush to soften floats, gently pouncing over water’s edge. All line work is done using either #20/0 or #10/0 liners; always thin paint to inky consistency, fully load liner, then blot tip on paper towel to “sharpen” point.
- 1. Print out pattern.
- 2. Sand, seal, and sand again. Base top and sides of wood Buttermilk; let dry and sand smooth. Use filbert to slip-slap Mink Tan and Buttermilk. (Note: To achieve a nice mottled look when doing slip-slap, load very little paint at a time and always lay brush down utilizing the whole edge or side of brush, and always work away from freshly applied paint. Remember to stroke in different directions to avoid repeated pattern.) Let dry and sand smooth again.
- 3. Apply tape to top of surface along edges. Base side edges of plaque Glorious Gold; use #1 script liner to paint a pin-stripe border along inside tape edge. Remove tape. Transfer “curly-Q’s” detailing and paint Glorious Gold.
- 4. Transfer basic details. Float Raw Umber behind elements; repeat to darken as desired. Base leaves Reindeer Moss Green and flowers Pink Chiffon. Lightly transfer details.
- 1. Dry brush soft Warm White highlight on leaves. Float Midnite Green at base of leaves walking up middle creating a soft indent; darken with second coat. Use #20/0 script liner to add veins.
- 1. Float Razzle Berry along edges of each petal; repeat two to three times to darken as desired. Fill turned areas with same color. Float Soft Black to divide and separate each petal or flipped edges. Line “U” shaped details at tip of petals with Black Plum, then float to soften.
- 2. Float flower center Midnite Green. Use tip of liner to dot center Marigold.
- 1. Apply two to three varnish coats.
by Sue Beckerton