Primitive Hang Tags
- DecoArt Americana Acrylics: Antique Gold, Burnt Orange, Burnt Umber, Hauser Light Green, Khaki Tan, Lamp (Ebony) Black, Midnite Green, Santa Red, Uniform Blue, Warm White, Williamsburg Blue
- Brushes: Loew-Cornell: La Corneille Golden Taklon: Shader, Series 7300, #2, #4, #6, #8, #10, #20; Round, Series 7000, #1; Liner, Series 7350, #10/0, #0, #2; Wash/Glaze, Series, 7550, 3/4”; Specialty: Deerfoot Stippler Russian Fitch, Series 410, 1/8”, 1/4”
- DecoArt Americana: Acrylic Sealer/Finisher, Matte; Acrylic Multi-Purpose Sealer
- Wooden Gift Tags with Cut Corners
- Compressed sponges
- Sakura Micron Pigma Pen: .005, .02
- Artist’s Tips
- 1. Use compressed sponge for all sponging; clean sponge after each color or use new sponges. Spattering is done with a #12 old shader brushing down over edge of palette knife. Use Scotch Brand Removable Tape to mask off straight edges. All pen work is done with pigma pen.
- 1. Sand surfaces thoroughly with #220 grit sandpaper in direction of wood grain. Repeat with #400. Wipe dust. Apply one coat multi-purpose sealer to front of tags. Let dry, lightly sand, and wipe dust. Base each tag Khaki Tan for opaque coverage.
- 2. Print out patterns.
- 1. Transfer inset line, birdhouse, carrot nose, snowman (excluding twigs), and scarf. Use #20 shader to float Uniform Blue along top and side edges of inset. Very lightly sponge light Williamsburg Blue wash on edge of sky area; avoid overlapping transferred areas. (Note: Make sure to leave quite a bit of lightness in middle area between birdhouse and snowman.) Very lightly sponge medium wash of Uniform Blue over previously sponged areas. Float touch of Lamp Black within top and side edges of inset; repeat with Uniform Blue.
- 2. Use #6 shader to apply light Warm White wash on snowman’s head and body then lightly sponge Warm White over wash. Clean up sponging overlaps with Khaki Tan. Lightly wash following areas: scarf Santa Red (#4 shader), nose Burnt Orange (#2 liner), and birdhouse Burnt Umber (#4 shader). (Note: Washes become highlights). Use #6 shader to shade scarf Santa Red. Use Lamp Black and #8 shader to shade on body and head around scarf and beside ground; use #10 shader to shade on background along entire right side of head, scarf, and body. Use 1/8” deerfoot stipple to stipple snow Warm White. Float Lamp Black along bottom edge.
- 3. Paint heart hole of birdhouse Lamp Black. Transfer twig “hairdo”, birds, and star. Use #2 shader to base birds Khaki Tan. Use same brush to wash birds Santa Red and star with medium Antique Gold wash. Use 1/8” deerfoot stippler to stipple wreath Midnite Green, then stipple Hauser Lt. Green. Dot berries Santa Red. Use 10/0 liner and Warm White to paint icicles and snowy areas.
- 1. Transfer inset line. In same manner as “Noel”, repeat first paragraph instructions, making sure to leave lightness around bird.
- 2. Transfer tree trunk, boughs, bird, scarf, and star. Use #4 shader to apply light to medium Warm White wash over bird. Sponge Warm White over wash cleaning up background as you go. Use #6 shader to wash scarf Santa Red, then float Santa Red to shade. Float Lamp Black on bird next to scarf and on back wing next to front wing.
- 3. Use #0 liner and thinned Burnt Umber to paint tree trunk. Use 1/8” deerfoot stippler to stipple boughs Midnite Green, then Hauser Lt. Green. Paint star with medium wash of Antique Gold and tiny heart with medium wash of Santa Red. Use Warm White to sponge clouds and to dab snow on head, wings, tail, and boughs.
- 1. Transfer inset line. In same manner as “Noel”, repeat first paragraph instructions, making sure to leave lightness in center area where heart will be.
- 2. Transfer birds, vine, and star. Use #0 liner and washy Burnt Umber to vaguely paint vine. Use 1/4” deerfoot stippler to stipple boughs Midnite Green, then Hauser Lt. Green. Transfer heart ornaments and use 10/0 liner to paint Santa Red. Wash birds Warm White, then lightly sponge Warm White over wash. Use #2 shader to wash star Antique Gold. Use 10/0 liner and Warm White to paint icicles and snowy areas.
- 1. Transfer inset line. In same manner as “Noel”, repeat first paragraph instructions, making sure to leave lightness in middle of inset where tree will be.
- 2. Transfer tree trunk, boughs, birds, star, and presents. Use #2 shader to wash star Antique Gold. Use round brush and thinned Burnt Umber to paint trunk. Very lightly float Lamp Black along right side of trunk. Use 1/8” deerfoot stippler to stipple boughs Midnite Green, then Hauser Lt. Green. Transfer heart ornaments and use 10/0 liner to paint Santa Red. Undercoat birds with Khaki Tan undercoat, then wash with Santa Red. Use #4 shader to wash presents Midnite Green; line bows and ribbons Santa Red. Use 10/0 liner and Warm White to paint icicles and snowy areas. Float Lamp Black along bottom edge of ground.
- 1. Mask off insets and use Khaki Tan to clean up uneven edges. Remove tape. Mask off tag leaving inset exposed; spatter inset Lamp Black then Warm White. Choose some larger Warm White spatter dots to create snowflakes using 10/0 liner; dot ends. Add snowflakes on Noel and Peace scarf tails.
- 2. Use .005 pen to add all detailing. Transfer wording and hearts. Use #2 shader to add medium Santa Red wash on hearts. Use same pen to add stitch lines around inset and on hearts. Use .02 pen to “stitch” wording.
- 3. Sponge Lamp Black along edges of tags. Clean back of tag and stain or paint as desired. Apply several light mistings of sealer. Varnish tags if desired, making sure to test inked areas first to prevent smearing.
by Susan Cochrane