- DecoArt Americana Acrylics: Dioxazine Purple, Golden Straw, Hauser Med. Green, Light Buttermilk, Napa Red, Ocean Blue, Poodleskirt Pink, Snow (Titanium) White, Uniform Blue
- Brushes: Royal & Langnickel: Majestic: Shader, Series R4150, #2, #4, #6, #12; Glaze/Wash, Series R4700, 1/2”, 3/4”; Combo: Wash, Series L3075, 1”; Signature Series: Margot’s Miracle Brush, Series RMARGOT
- DecoArt DuraClear Varnish, Satin
- 1. Sand entire surface and wipe. Use 3/4” glaze/wash to apply two coats Lt. Buttermilk. Let dry, sand lightly, and wipe dust.
- 2. Print out patterns; transfer basic bassinet details omitting birds and text at this time.
- 1. Use Poodleskirt Pink and #12 shader to base background making sure to paint neatly around bassinet pattern lines; repeat. Use same color and 3/4” glaze/wash to paint back of frame.
- Bassinet and ribbons
- 1. (Note: Use side, chisel or flat of brush to fill areas.) On palette, use #6 shader to make brush mix of Uniform Blue and dot of Dioxazine Purple; chain mix with Snow White (see worksheet). Use dark mixes from chain to pull shaded areas on bassinet. Pull pleats and folds with mixes from middle of chain, then use straight Snow White for highlights. Use corner of flat brush to pit-pat medium periwinkle mix from chain along top edge of bassinet; pick up Snow White on corner of brush, then pit-pat over medium value to create ruffles. (see photos)
- Garland and Band
- 1. Use Margot’s brush and Hauser Med. Green to pull small leaves around garland and rose clusters. Use same brush and brush mix of Snow White and Napa Red to paint narrow hemline band at bottom of bassinet using light pressure and noting how band moves in and out with folds of pleats. Use #4 shader and pink mix to base all roses; side-load dirty brush with Snow White, blend, and then pull a few small petals onto each rose to create petals.
- 1. Transfer pattern. Use #2 shader to base Ocean Blue. Side-load dirty brush with Snow White, blend, and then pull small highlights onto top of heads, chests, wings, and tails. Use Margot’s brush and brush mix of Napa Red and Hauser Med. Green to dot eyes. Base beaks Golden Straw.
- 1. Transfer pattern. Use Margot’s brush and brush mix of Napa Red and Poodleskirt Pink, thin slightly with water, blot, then paint lettering. Use same mix and 1/2” glaze/wash to paint routed edge.
- 1. Apply two to three varnish coats.
by Connie Parkinson