- DecoArt Americana Acrylics: Burnt Umber, Cool Neutral, Hauser Medium Green, Light Parchment, Plantation Pine, Taffy Cream, Tangerine, Traditional Raw Sienna, Traditional Raw Umber
- Brushes: Royal & Langnickel: Majestic: Filbert, Series R4170, #4; Aqualon: Liner, Series R2595, #1; Oval Wash, Series R2950, 1/2”; Royal Fusion: Shader, Series R3150, #8 Golden Taklon: Comb, Series R730, 1/2”
- DecoArt: Weathered Wood Crackling Medium; One Step Crackle; Americana Acrylic Multi-Purpose Sealer
- Exterior varnish
- Clapham’s Beeswax Salad Bowl Finish
- Household natural orange cleaner, degreaser and stain remover
- Stretchy tape, 1/4” (or auto pinstripe tape)
- Wooden Umbrella Table Lazy Susan, 16” from Patricia Rawlinson
- 1. For outdoor use, disassemble lazy Susan and apply sealer entirely to each piece. Let dry thoroughly. Work design on top surface only. Slip-slap top surface, along inside hole edges, and outer edges with Traditional Raw Umber and Burnt Umber. For “chipped” look, apply thick irregular wax blotches as desired along edges of top surface. (Note: Apply thick wax so it is visible after paint dries.) Thinly slip-slap Weathered Wood over surface; allow to set a few hours or overnight. (Note: This medium is a chemical based reaction and not time based, and will crackle yet a year from now.)
- 2. Pat on varying thicknesses of Lt. Parchment and Cool Neutral making sure to stroke surface in random directions. Let dry overnight.
- 3. Blow dry wax areas (working small sections at a time) on high heat; rub off wax exposing Traditional Raw Umber and Burnt Umber basecoat. Wipe residual wax with orange cleaner.
- 4. Print out pattern.
- 1. Use compass to draw 2”-wide border; base border Cool Neutral. Use filbert to apply thick One Step Crackle. Allow to dry overnight. Use mix of Hauser Med. Green + tch. of Plantation Pine to wash over crackle. (Note: Make sure there is enough water in wash to settle into cracks.)
- 2. Use compass to trace 1/4” band within border; apply tape nice and evenly exposing band. Tap Traditional Raw Sienna over band; remove tape immediately. If tape peels away washy green paint, reapply wash as needed.
- 1. Transfer pattern. To establish flower foundation, slip-slap areas with Hauser Med. Green and Traditional Raw Umber; add water to fade out outer edges. Add thinned Tangerine tints within slip-slapped area. Deepen green areas with additional Hauser Med. Green and Traditional Raw Umber and deepen tangerine areas with more Tangerine.
- 2. Slip-slap Hauser Med. Green here and there to establish petal shapes. Shade Traditional Raw Umber to separate flower clumps. Slip-slap Traditional Raw Sienna petal shapes in center of clumps to add fullness. Add accented or highlighted Taffy Cream petals shapes; shade petal bottoms with Plantation Pine “V” strokes. Paint petal cluster centers Traditional Raw Umber; highlight dot Lt. Parchment.
- 1. Shade Plantation Pine along inside band edge. Shade Traditional Raw Umber along outer edge of surface. Lightly spatter entire surface with thinned Tangerine, Traditional Raw Umber, and Lt. Parchment.
- 2. Apply several varnish coats to entire top and bottom surfaces. Reassemble lazy Susan.
by Patricia Rawlinson