Cross-Stitched Frog Sign
Stitch this whimsical frog as an attractive addition to your flower bed or garden.
- Darice 14-count brown plastic canvas, 1/2 sheet
- Brown paper
- DMC 6-strand Embroidery Floss
- Copper wire, 18-gauge, 36” length
- Assorted beads, six
Backstitch : 2 strands
Cross-stitch : 3 strands
French Knot : 2 or 3 strands (wrapped two times)
scissors, ruler, wire cutter
- Tapestry needle, #26
- Therm O Web Peelnstick Double-Sided Adhesive, 3-3/4”x5”
- Size / Stitch Count
- 1. Sign size: 4”x8-1/2”; stitch count: 50x62
- 1. Print out cross-stitch chart and key. Use three strands floss to cross-stitch design centered on canvas. For French knots, use three strands DMC White for frog’s eyes, and two strands DMC 307 Lemon for fly’s eyes.
- 2. For backstitch, use two strands for the following: DMC 310 Black for dashed lines, fly’s body and antennae, frog’s mouth and tongue; DMC 318 Steel Gray, Lt. for flower; DMC 414 Steel Gray, Dk. for bow tie, fly’s wings; DMC 890 Pistachio Green, Ultra Dk. for frog, flower stem, and leaf.
- 3. Cut design to two squares beyond stitching on right/left sides, six squares beyond stitching on bottom, and five squares beyond stitching on top. For indents, cut out four squares from top and bottom edges, three squares in.
- 4. Remove backing from adhesive sheet; apply to back of design. Press brown paper onto adhesive; trim paper and smooth edges.
- 5. Cut wire length in half. Wrap one length around bottom indents; twist ends together and curl into spirals. Add beads to spirals. Wrap remaining wire length around top indents; twist ends together at center for hanger. Add beads and cut ends.
by Kathy Wirth