Stash Savvy Trees
- Clay pot, 4” tall
- STYROFOAM Brand Foam* (Dow): Cone, 4-7/8”x11”; Ball, 2”
- Used dryer sheets, six (per tree)
- Wooden items: dowels: 1/8”, 4” length; 1”, 8” length; circles, 1”, 16
- Vintage images of choice or silk poinsettias and jewelry brads, 12
- Americana Acrylic Paints (DecoArt): Alizarin Crimson; French Vanilla; Festive Green; Traditional Burnt Umber; Metallics Festive Green
- Assorted holiday greenery and trims
- Recycled cardboard
- White cardstock
- Silver brads
- Green sheet moss
- Strong coffee or tea
- Sequin pins
scissors, rubber bands
- Christmas sentiment rubber stamps
- Black pigment ink
- Coluzzle (Provo Craft): Cutting System; Oval Template
- Hole punch
- Kitchen knife
- Sanding block
- Aleene’s (iLoveToCreate): Original Tacky Glue; Collage Page Decoupage Medium
- *STYROFOAM is a registered trademark of The Dow Chemical Co.
- 1. Use Coluzzle to cut 3” oval from cardboard with a 2” opening for a frame. If needed, sand ends of dowel with sanding block. Paint dowel French Vanilla. Paint pot Alizarin Crimson or Traditional Burnt Umber, and oval French Vanilla or Metallics Festive Green. When dry, dry brush oval Traditional Burnt Umber or Alizarin Crimson.
- 2. Stamp sentiment on white cardstock; cut out, using frame as template. Glue sentiment to back of frame. Punch holes at sides of frame; attach brads. Glue frame to pot. If needed, secure with rubber bands while drying.
- 3. Soak dryer sheets in strong coffee or tea for several hours to reach desired color intensity. Rinse in cool water and let dry. Insert painted dowel into base of cone. Remove, place glue in hole and replace dowel. For smooth tree, use decoupage medium and foam brush to adhere dryer sheets, one at a time, layering slightly to completely cover tree. For looped tree, cut sheets into 1”x3” strips. Double strips and place on tree with sequin pins dipped in glue, starting at bottom of tree. Overlap slightly and continue until tree is covered.
- 4. To embellish smooth tree, place jeweled brads in center of poinsettia and insert into tree randomly, with end of brad dipped in glue. For looped tree, glue wooden circles to wrong side of vintage image. Cut out with scissors and sand edges smooth. Glue circles to loops on tree. Insert sprigs of greenery into top of tree, with ends dipped in glue.
- 5. Use knife to cut ball in half. Apply glue to one flat side and adhere to bottom of pot. Insert dowel into ball. Remove and place glue in hole. Replace dowel in pot and fill with moss.
by Melony Bradley for The Dow Chemical Co.