- DecoArt Americana Acrylics: Antique Rose, Avocado, Black Plum, Burnt Orange, Burnt Umber, Desert Sand, French Grey Blue, Hauser Dark Green, Jade Green, Lamp (Ebony) Black, Light Avocado, Light Buttermilk, Rookwood Red, Sable Brown, Slate Grey, Snow (Titanium) White, True Ochre, Uniform Blue
- Brushes: Loew-Cornell: Deerfoot Stippler Russian Fitch, Series 410, 1/4”, 3/8”; La Corneille Golden Taklon—Acrylic Handle: Shader, Series 7300C, #4, #8; Round, Series 7000C, #2, #5; Liner, Series 7350C, #10/0
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Sealer/Finisher, Matte
- Rust-oleum Americana Accents Primer Spray, White
- Craft wire of choice
- Spoon gourds (5”-7” tall, three) from Wuertz Gourd Farm
- Balsa wood or tan craft foam (3”x4”x1/8”)
- Wood filler
- Plastic scouring pad
- Rubber gloves
- Dust mask
- 1. If you purchased uncleaned gourds, soak gourds in warm water 10-15 minutes; weigh gourds down with plastic cutting board or other waterproof item to submerge. Use scouring pad to remove thin layer of dried skin. (Note: Thin gourds can crack while cleaning, so take care not to exert excessive pressure.) Let dry.
- 1. Use wood filler as needed to fill holes and unwanted imperfections. Let dry. Use fine grit sand paper to sand smooth.
- 2. Apply primer; follow manufacturer’s directions and use rubber gloves to spray outdoors or in well ventilated area.
- 3. For straight gourd tops, mark holes at top directly opposite each other. For hooked gourd tops (Santa), mark holes below where neck begins to bend to assure gourd will hang straight. (Important: Always where mask when drilling or cutting gourds as dust is toxic to lungs.) Drill holes using even pressure. (Note: If you make a mistake in drilling, fill hole with filler and start again.)
- 4. Print out pattern. Cut antlers from balsa wood or craft foam. Use pencil to mark bottom of reindeer’s hat band. Use craft knife to carefully cut slots in gourd large enough for antlers. (Note: An emery board can be used to enlarge and smooth slots as needed.) Remove antlers.
- 1. Base head area Sable Brown; shade Burnt Umber under hat. Transfer face. Use round brush to paint eyes Black Plum; line eyebrows with thinned Black Plum. Add Lt. Buttermilk highlight dot to eyes. Dry brush cheeks Antique Rose. Base nose Burnt Umber; shade Lamp Black along bottom and highlight a touch of Rookwood Red along top. Use liner and thinned Black Plum to paint mouth. Use liner to paint hair Burnt Umber; use dir ty brush to overstroke with Desert Sand.
- 2. Base hat and hat band Lt. Avocado. Double-load deerfoot stippler with small amounts of Avocado and Jade Green; stipple hat avoiding hat band. Use mix of Avocado + tch. of Hauser Dk. Green to shade hat above hat band. Highlight Jade Green along top of band. Add thinned Hauser Dk. Green ribs on hat band, then Avocado. Undercoat gold patch Lt. Buttermilk; base True Ochre. Add thinned Rookwood Red stitches. Paint red patch Rookwood Red; add thinned Hauser Dk. Green stitches.
- 3. Base antlers Desert Sand; shade Sable Brown along edges. Add Burnt Umber stitch line along edges.
- 1. Use photo as guide to pencil in hat line. Hand draw or transfer scarf. Base body Lt. Buttermilk; randomly shade Desert Sand. Undercoat hat Slate Grey; base Rookwood Red. Doubleload deerfoot stippler with small amounts of Black Plum and Antique Rose; stipple hat avoiding hat band. Shade Black Plum above hat band. Highlight Antique Rose along top of band. Add thinned Black Plum ribs on hat band then thinned Antique Rose. Paint green patch Avocado; add thinned Rookwood Red stitches.
- 2. Base scarf Lt. Avocado; shade with equal mix of Avocado + Hauser Dk. Green and highlight Jade Green. Use liner and thinned Rookwood Red to paint plaid lines. Use liner and equal mix of thinned Jade Green + Avocado to line fringe.
- 3. Paint heart patch Rookwood Red; add thinned Black Plum stitches. Paint eyes, eyebrows, and cheeks in same manner as “Reindeer”. Double-load round brush with Burnt Orange + Desert Sand to stroke nose.
- 1. Use photo as guide to pencil in hat line. Undercoat hat Slate Grey; base Rookwood Red. Double-load deerfoot stippler with small amounts of Black Plum and Antique Rose; stipple hat avoiding hat band. Shade Black Plum above hat band. Paint blue patch Uniform Blue; add thinned True Ochre stitches. Undercoat gold patch Lt. Buttermilk; paint True Ochre. Add thinned Avocado stitches. Paint green patch Avocado; add thinned Uniform Blue stitches. Stipple fur trim Slate Grey; use dirty brush to stipple again with Lt. Buttermilk allowing some grey to show. Lightly stipple Snow White highlights.
- 2. Transfer face outline. Base with mix of Lt. Buttermilk + tch. of Desert Sand; shade Desert Sand. Paint eyes and cheeks in same manner as “Reindeer”. For nose, float Antique Rose. Use round brush and Slate Grey to tap in eyebrows; tap again with Lt. Buttermilk then tap in additional Snow White highlights.
- 3. Use brush mix of Slate Grey and Lt. Buttermilk to base hair, beard, and mustache. Use #4 shader to dry brush Lt. Buttermilk from bottom up. Use round brush and Snow White to over stroke mustache; use liner to add fine hairs to hair and beard. Shade sheer French Grey Blue under mustache and hat band.
- 1. Glue antlers to reindeer’s head. Cut approximately three 8” wire lengths. Curl one end several times around end of paintbrush handle or pencil. Insert straight end through gourd holes. Bend wire to form “S” shape. Curl straight wire end in same manner. Apply several sealer coats.
by Linda Hollander