"Beary" Creative Brush Container
- DecoArt Americana Acrylics: Antique Rose, Cadmium Yellow, Camel, Celery Green, Dark Chocolate, Evergreen, Honey Brown, Jade Green, Lamp (Ebony) Black, Lavender, Light Buttermilk, Light Mocha, Summer Lilac, Wedgewood Blue, Williamsburg Blue
- Brushes: Daler-Rowney: Robert Simmons Expression: Flat Wash/Glaze, Series E55, 3/4”; Flat Shader, Series E60, #2, #8; Angle Shader, Series E57, 1/4”, 3/8”; Liner, Series E51, #18/0, #0; Pointed Round, Series E85, #3; Oval Mop, Series E52, 3/8”; Decorator Stencil Brush, Series 960, 1/4”
- Krylon Indoor/Outdoor Spray Primer, White
- DecoArt DuraClear Varnish, Satin
- Potato chip can
- 1. Remove lid and set aside. Swish warm soapy water inside and rinse thoroughly; do not let water sit inside and avoid wetting outside of can. Dry thoroughly with paper towel. Allow to air dry completely.
- 2. Follow manufacturer’s directions to apply several light primer coats on can until solid coverage is achieved. Use flat wash/glaze to base Camel. Paint top and bottom rims Lt. Mocha. Print out patterns; transfer oval outline. Base oval Lt. Mocha. Transfer basic details.
- 1. Dry brush Celery Green “grass” around feet. Base design as follows: bear Honey Brown; muzzle Camel; shirt Celery Green; collar and pants Williamsburg Blue; pant cuffs with equal mix of Williamsburg Blue + Lt. Mocha; palette Lt. Buttermilk; paintbrush handle Lamp Black; bristles Camel.
- 1. Transfer details. Base pocket Williamsburg Blue. Use 18/0 liner and thinned Celery Green to paint linework on pant cuffs.
- 2. Use Dk. Chocolate to shade back-to-back floats along edges of oval; shade edges of bear and muzzle making sure to float thumbs, and brush bristles. Shade shirt Evergreen. Use Wedgewood Blue to shade collar, pocket, pants, and cuffs.
- 3. Use Antique Rose to fl oat sides of muzzle for cheeks; add “paint” to top of bristles and paint splashes. Shade paint on bristles and splashes Dk. Chocolate.
- 4. Dry brush shirt Jade Green along both sides of center; dry brush a bit on grass.
- 5. Use Lamp Black to shade palette; use thin sheer float to reinforce shading under collar, across bottom edges of pocket, underneath shirt edge, below shirt sleeves, around bear’s ears and muzzle, between pant legs, and on feet below pant cuffs. Paint eyes, eyelashes, nose, mouth line, and mouth dot. (Note: Use 18/0 liner and thinned paint for eyelashes and mouth line. Paint lashes from eye out.) Dot shirt buttons. Float Williamsburg Blue along bottom of eyes and add Lt. Mocha highlight dots.
- 6. Use 18/0 liner and thinned Dk. Chocolate to add hair strands on head. Repeat using thinned Camel.
- 7. Add palette paint colors as follows: Celery Green, Antique Rose, Williamsburg Blue, Camel, Evergreen, Wedgewood Blue, Summer Lilac, Cadmium Yellow, Honey Brown.
- 8. Use #0 liner and following colors to paint flowers in grass: Antique Rose, Summer Lilac, Lavender. Dot centers Cadmium Yellow.
- 1. Use #0 liner and mix of thinned Dk. Chocolate + tch. of Lamp Black to paint vine. Use #2 fl at shader and thinned Evergreen to paint leaves; use 18/0 liner to pull some stems and thin vines.
- 1. Apply several light varnish coats.
by Susan Kelley