Luck of the Irish
- DecoArt Americana Acrylics: Black Green, Bright Green, Forest Green, Hauser Light Green, Leaf Green, Mistletoe, Snow (Titanium) White
- Brushes: Royal & Langnickel Majestic: Shader, Series R4150, #4, #12; Short Liner, Series R4595, #1; Glaze/Wash, Series R4700, 3/4”
- Exterior Acrylic Varnish
- Mailbox Covers available through Margaret Wilson
- 3” foam roller
- Krylon 18K Gold Pen
- 1. Mailbox cover comes primed. Use roller to base one side of cover Leaf Green. For side borders, measure 2” from edges, tape off, and base with mix of Leaf Green + Snow White (1:3). Let dry thoroughly. Print pattern; transfer squares onto border making sure to start approximately 3” from bottom edges. Base squares Leaf Green.
- 1. Transfer patterns. Base each petal Mistletoe. Shade Forest Green where one petal lies under another and at base of petals. Highlight Bright Green along outer edges. Use brush mix of Bright Green and Snow White to brighten highlight keeping it smaller. Use liner and Hauser Lt. Green to pull center vein lines. Use chisel edge of brush and brush mix of Bright Green and Snow White to pull in lighter lines to each side of center.
- 2. Use glaze/wash and Black Green to float behind entire design; if needed, deepen shaded areas on petals.
- 1. Use gold pen to line outside edges of borders and border squares.
- 2. (Note: Not all mailboxes and/or flags are the same size. Check your mailbox for flag placement, then carefully cut out appropriate size hole for flag.) Apply several varnish coats making sure to seal edges.
- 3. Attach mailbox cover in same manner as “Hearts ‘n Flowers” mailbox cover.
- 1. Use the same design and material to make a matching garden flag.
by Margaret Wilson