Hearts and Flowers
- DecoArt: Americana Acrylics: Berry Red, Black Green, Burnt Sienna, Deep Burgundy, Golden Straw, Hauser Dark Green, Hauser Light Green, Jade Green, Napa Red, Pineapple, Pink Chiffon, Silver Sage Green, Snow (Titanium) White, Tuscan Red; Hot Shots: Fiery Red
- Brushes: Royal & Langnickel: Majestic: Shader, Series R4150, #6, #12; Short Liner, Series R4595, #1; Filbert, Series R4170, #8; Royal Sable: Short Round, Series L5005, #14
- 3” foam roller
- Mailbox Covers available through Margaret Wilson
- Exterior acrylic varnish
- 1. Mailbox cover comes primed. Use roller to base one side of cover Pink Chiffon. For side borders, measure 2-1/4” from edges, tape off, and base Deep Burgundy. Let dry thoroughly. Measure another 1/2” from inner edges of burgundy boarder; tape off and base Black Green.
- 2. Print out pattern; transfer basic details.
- Background Leaves
- 1. Double load #12 shader with Hauser Dk. Green and Hauser Lt. Green; blend well on palette and pull leaves from bottom edge of cover up. While wet, use chisel edge of brush to pull up center vein being careful to not go to very end of leaf.
- Basecoat Flowers
- 1. Transfer remainder of design. Refer to pattern for flower numbers. Use filbert and Tuscan Red to base front petals of flowers #1, #2, #4, and #5; base back petals Napa Red. Use same brush and Berry Red to base front petal of flower #3; base back petals Napa Red. For flowers #6 and #7 base “north” and “south” petals Berry Red; base remaining petals Tuscan Red.
- Shade Flowers
- 1. For flowers #1, #2, #3, #4, and #5, use #12 shader and Napa Red to shade along curved center, along left edge, and at base of flowers where petals fit into calyx. For flowers #6 and #7, shade base of “east” and “west” petals Napa Red. Use liner and Napa Red to pull fine lines up from base of petals.
- Flower Centers
- 1. Stipple center of flowers #6 and #7 Golden Straw; stipple Pineapple highlight on right sides. Float Burnt Sienna C-strokes on left side of each center.
- Highlight Flowers
- 1. Use #14 short round to dry brush Fiery Red highlights along right sides of flowers #1, #2, #3, #4, and #5, then dry brush smaller highlights in a crescent shape down center of left side of front petals. For flowers #6 and #7, dry brush centers of all petals. Use liner and Snow White to add cross hatching on flowers #1 and #4; add stitch marks to front petals of flower #5.
- 1. Double-load #6 shader with Hauser Dk. Green and Jade Green to pull up stems and calyxes. Continue to pull up more leaves coming up over stems.
- Candy Hearts on Borders
- 1. Randomly base candies Pineapple, Silver Sage Green, and Pink Chiffon. Use liner and Tuscan Red to add lettering. Shade lamp black behind candy hearts. Add curvy Pink Chiffon line to connect candies.
- 1. (Note: Not all mailboxes and/or flags are the same size. Check your mailbox for flag placement, then carefully cut out appropriate size hole for flag.) Apply several varnish coats making sure to seal edges.
- 2. To attach cover to mailbox, run cord through back two grommets. Then continue as though lacing shoes. Once you’ve reached front of cover, tug cording to tighten, and tie securely.
- 1. Adjust pattern and use this design to paint a welcome flag. Or, convert design onto a wooden palaque for a front door decoration.
by Margaret Wilson