Irish Welcome Door Crown
Give your home a true Irish welcome! Proudly show your friends and neighbors what the spirit of Irish generosity is all about with this "old Irish welcome" for all who come in friendship!
- Cabin Crafters Arched Top Door Crown (#100237)
sandpaper, soft cloth, pencil, eraser, palette, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Foliage Green, Forest Green, Mint Julep Green, Salem Blue, Soft Sage, Snow White; Champagne Gold Dazzling Metallics
- Royal & Langnickel Aqualon Paintbrushes: Series R2700 Glaze Wash 1"; Series R2595 Liner 10/0; Series R2150 Shader #4, #6, #8, #12
- DecoArt: Americana Acrylic Multi-Purpose Sealer, Brush ‘n Blend Extender, Glazing Medium
- 1. Size is 29-7/8”x9”.
- Irish Welcome Door Crown
- 1. Apply multi-purpose sealer to entire surface; let dry and sand. Wipe dust. Basecoat entire surface Snow White.
- 2. Use damp glaze wash brush and small amount of extender to lightly cover front of board. Pick up Soft Sage on dirty brush; slip-slap center section of board allowing base color to show through, working out until approximately half of board is covered. Using dirty brush, pick up Mint Julep Green; working from outer side edges of board, slip-slap color feathering into Soft Sage area. Pick up small amount of Salem Blue using dirty brush; slip-slap along top edges of board working down and slightly blending into previously slip-slapped areas.
- 3. Print out pattern. (Transfer details as needed.) Use eraser to lighten pattern lines as sheer paint application may not cover lines.
- 4. Load #6 shader with Glazing Medium and small amount of Forest Green; basecoat large Celtic lettering, keeping paint sheer. Shade Forest Green along left sides of letters and use Foliage Green to highlight along right sides. Use thinned Forest Green to loosely outline lettering.
- 5. Use liner and Champagne Gold to paint English cursive lettering; line surface border.
- 6. For distant shamrocks, load appropriate-size shader with Glazing Medium, then corner load with small amount of Salem Blue; paint shamrocks keeping color transparent and light. Line stems. In same manner, load shader with Glazing Medium and ultra-sheer Forest Green to paint remaining shamrocks and stems. Use touches of sheer Salem Blue to shade Forest Green shamrocks, and touches of Foliage Green to highlight areas. Use liner and Champagne Gold to loosely outline edges of foreground shamrocks. Let dry.
- 7. Apply several coats of sealer. Let dry.
- 1. Transfer basic pattern outline onto a plain, lightweight flag for a great porch design.
by Linda Hollander