St. Paddy's Card and Gift Tag
- DecoArt (for card and tag): Americana Acrylics: Base Flesh, Black Green, Burnt Orange, Dark Chocolate, Hauser Dark Green, Hauser Light Green, Hauser Medium Green, Lamp (Ebony) Black, Santa Red, Snow (Titanium) White, Tangelo Orange, Terra Cotta; Dazzling Metallics (card only): Splendid Gold
- Brushes: Royal & Langnickel: Aqualon: Shader, Series R2150, #10; Round, Series R2250, #1, #4; Angular, Series R2160, 1/4", 3/8"; Script Liner, Series R2585, #10/0; Glaze Wash, Series R2700, 1"; Majestic: Chisel Blender, Series R4150-S, #4
- Card: Cardstock: white, 8-1/2"x11; optional: green, 2"x7"
- Tag: Birch plywood (1/16") or wood tag of choice
- DecoArt: Americana Acrylic Sealer/Finisher, Matte; DuraClear Varnish, Matte
- Decorative edge scissors (for card)
- Green 1/8"-wide satin ribbon (for tag)
- 1. For card, cut a 7"x10" rectangle from white cardstock; fold in half to make a 5"x7" card. Transfer basic pattern lines. (Transfer details as needed.)
- 2. For tag, print out pattern. Cut tag using pattern. Drill hole where indicated. Sand tag, seal, and sand again. Use glaze wash brush to base entire tag Snow White for opaque coverage. Transfer basic pattern lines. (Transfer details as needed.)
- 1. Use shader and Hauser Med. Green to base hat, coat, and socks; use Tangelo Orange to base beard. Use Base Flesh and shader to base face and #4 round to base hand. For shoes, use shader and Dk. Chocolate; use #4 round to paint Lamp Black soles. Use shader to base pants Hauser Dk. Green.
- 2. Use 3/8" angular and Black Green to shade all around pants. Use 1/4" angular and Hauser Dk. Green to shade sock lines and along bottom edge of socks. Use 3/8" angular to shade Hauser Dk. Green around jacket, collar, and pocket.
- 3. Use #4 round to base buttons Splendid Gold; use 1/4" angular to shade Hauser Med. Green behind buttons. Use #1 round to paint Lamp Black hat band; paint shamrock Hauser Lt. Green. Use 1/4" angular to shade Hauser Dk. Green above hat band.
- 4. Use #4 round to stroke Burnt Orange bangs across top of face. Use 1/4" angular to shade Terra Cotta behind nose. Use same brush to shade cheeks Santa Red. Use #4 round to base pipe Dk. Chocolate; use mix of Dk. Chocolate + tch. of Snow White to highlight top of pipe bowl and along top of pipe stem. Paint center of bowl Lamp Black.
- 5. Use chisel blender to dry brush Hauser Lt. Green highlights on tips of curved collar, center of pocket, and top of socks.
- 6. Use Lamp Black and stylus to dot eyes; line eyebrows and use #1 round to paint mouth. Use script liner and Lamp Black to add beard pattern, markings on buttons, and stitch lines on pockets; paint center line down jacket, pants, socks, and shoes, and add shoe laces.
- 7. Use Snow White to add tiny eye highlight dots; use #1 round to highlight top of nose and shoes.
- 8. Optional: Cut away a 3/8"-wide strip from right side of card front. Use decorative scissors to trim along one lone edge of green cardstock; glue straight edge to inside of card front aligning decorative cut edge with back edge of card. Use computer and printer to print an Irish greeting and attach to inside of card.
- 1. Use Hauser Med. Green and shader to base hat; use #4 round to paint small shamrocks along bottom of tag. Use shader to base beard Tangelo Orange. Use same brush to base face Base Flesh. Use shader to paint checks Hauser Dk. Green.
- 2. Use #4 round and Lamp Black to paint hat band and mouth. Use #4 round to paint Hauser Lt. Green shamrock on hat band. Use 1/4" angular to shade Hauser Dk. Green above hat band.
- 3. Use 1/4" angular and Terra Cotta to shade along edges of face and behind nose. Use #4 round to stroke Burnt Orange bangs across top of face. Use 1/4" angular to shade cheeks Santa Red. Use #4 round to base pipe Dk. Chocolate; use mix of Dk. Chocolate + tch. of Snow White to highlight top of pipe bowl and along top of pipe stem.
- 4. Use Lamp Black and stylus to dot eyes; use script liner to line eyebrows, add beard pattern, outline top of cheeks, to loosely outline edges of tag, and to line checked band. Use script liner to add Lamp Black lettering.
- 5. Use Snow White to add tiny eye highlight dots and use #1 round to highlight top of nose.
- 6. For back of tag, use Lamp Black and #1 round to add lettering; use script liner to loosely outline tag edges. User #4 round to paint shamrock Hauser Med. Green.
- 7. Apply varnish. Use ribbon for hanger.
by Loretta Mateik