Crafty Kitchen Gifts
- Food grater, glass or measuring cup
- Wooden shapes: circle, 2-3/4”; oval, 3”
- Holiday floral print cotton fabric, 1/4 yd.
- Wool Felt (National Nonwovens): Blue Snow, 1/4 yd.; scraps: Moss Green; Brown Sugar; White
- 6-strand Embroidery Floss (DMC): Olive Green (732); White; Vy. Dk. Coffee Brown (898)
- Facets (Kreinik): Red (003); Gold (002)
- Black hemp
- Brads, two: silver; antique
- Ribbon: green grosgrain, 9” length; red or green glittered, 3/8”, 6” length
- Lightweight fusible interfacing, 1/4 yd.
- Light Steam-a-Seam (The Warm Co.)
- Drill and 1/16” drill bit
- Hole punch
- Embroidery needle
- Scallop-edge scissors
- Computer and printer
- Iron and pressing board
- Adhesive dots
- 1. Spray wooden circle Peek-a-boo Blue and oval Satin White. Let dry and leaf edges with Silver Leafing Pen. Use computer to print sentiment on transparent sheet. Use marker to trace oval and circle around sentiment; cut out. Drill two holes in top and bottom of shapes. Layer transparent sentiment on shapes to determine placement of punched holes on transparency. Punch holes and use brads to attach sentiment to wooden shapes.
- 2. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to fuse fabric to lightweight interfacing. Use scallop-edge scissors to trim to a 3-3/4”x4-3/4” rectangle or 4” circle. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to fuse wool felt to fusible webbing. Cut blue felt to a 3-3/4” circle or 3-1/2”x4-1/2” rectangle. Fuse circle to center of fabric rectangle or circle. Print and cut out pattern. Cut trees, snow banks and trunks from remaining wool felt scraps. Arrange pieces as shown and fuse to blue felt.
- 3. Use three strands of Olive Green floss to blanket stitch edges of blue wool felt and trees. Blanket stitch edges of trunk with Dk. Brown and snow bank with White. Cut 6” length from facet. Use one strand green to couch Red and Gold facets in pattern shown to trees. Trim excess facets.
- 4. For hanger, cut 5” length from glittered ribbon. Double over and sew to back of ornaments. Attach ornament to grater with grosgrain ribbon tied in a bow. Use adhesive dots to adhere ornament to measuring cup. Cut 6” length from hemp and tie tag onto grater or cup by looping through top brad and securing with a knot.
by Melony Bradley